287. Upright Cross-slab. - "In the north part
of the parish," says the New Statistical Account, ยน
"there is a stone 10 feet high, 2 1/2 broad, and 1
thick, with rude figures of men and horses cut
upon it, but now much defaced." The stone,
which seems to have been lost, has been
described and illustrated in Stuart's Sculptured
Stones of Scotland, vol. i, pl. 131.

1 Vol. ix (1836), p. 239.


The O.S. map records a site as under :-

288. East Port.

xxxix S.W.



289. Church, Ruins of. - The ruins of the post-
Reformation church stand within the grave-
yard 200 yards south-west of the modern church.
The walls are fairly complete, but are densely
covered with ivy. On plan the building has been
oblong, measuring internally 45 feet 5 inches by
15 feet 7 inches, but there may have been a
cross-aisle on the north. The entrance, a
lintelled doorway at the west end of the south
wall, is dated 1582, but a second doorway was
inserted farther eastward in 1760. There are
three windows in the south wall and a tran-
somed window in the west gable. Another
transomed window in the east gable has been
built up.

viii S.W. 2 June 1927.


290. Dovecot. Pitscottie. - A ruinous two-
chambered dovecot stands in a park less than
half a mile north-east of the hamlet of Pitscottie.
It is built of rubble and is rectangular on plan,
measuring 29 by 15 feet over all. On the lintel
above the entrance to one chamber are the
initials W.H., while the lintel of the other
entrance is dated 1749, evidently the date of

xiv N.W. (unnoted). 9 May 1928.


291. Effigy, Kemback House. - In a wood,
formerly a graveyard, 250 yards to the north-
west of the house is a weatherworn effigy of a
female figure dating from the 15th century;
it measures 5 feet 10 1/2 inches in length and is
fractured at the neck and waist. The head
rests on a pillow, and the hands are clasped on
the breast.

viii S.W. 2 June 1927.

292. Short-Cist Burials, Rumgally, Kem-
back. - Two interesting short-cist burials were
recently discovered near Rumgally, Kemback.
One grave contained human remains, a food-
vessel urn, and a flint scraper, while the other
contained a flint knife but no human remains.
The relics are now in the National Museum.
Cf. Proc. Soc. Ant. Scot., lxvi (1931-2) pp. 67-8.

[Crossed out] xiv N.W.
8 SW 8 (unnoted).



293. Seventeenth-century House, Kennoway.
- Beside the cemetery at the top of the old
village street is a two-storeyed house of pro-
bably the last quarter of the 17th century.
It is oblong on plan but has a straight stair-
case in a projection from the southern side.
The masonry is of harled rubble, the gables are
crow-stepped, and the chimney-stacks have
dressed margins and harled panels. The lower
storey is partly derelict, but the upper floor
is still inhabited, and there the staircase emerges
in a passage giving access to a chamber at each
end and to a small intermediate room. The
walls of the three chambers have been panelled
in pine, but in none of them is the panelling
complete. The fireplaces are elaborately
moulded. The western chamber has a coved
ceiling with a guilloche enrichment round the
margin and a central roundel with a floral

xx S.E. 23 April 1931.

[Page] 160

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, Murray

  Location information for this page.