fife-kinross-clackmannan-1933/03-304

Transcription

INVERKEITHING.] INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS IN FIFE. [INVERKEITHING.

been erased and also part of the date, which was
apparently [16]17. Above the central window
of the main block is a panel inscribed : CAIR .
BOT . CAIR . NOT . IN/ORDINARLIE* . FOR . AL .
VL (sic) . /AS . VTHERIS . AND . VTH/ERIS . VIL .
BE . ETC (sic).
(8) The are several featureless houses of the
late 17th century in King Street, while from
another, recently demolished, a panel inscribed :
THE LORD IS / ONLY MY DEL/IVERER BLI/ST BE
YE LORD, has been removed and rebuilt for
preservation into the front of the house which
now occupies the site.

1 Stephen's Inverkeithing and Rosyth, p. 38.
2 Ibid., p.43. 3 History of Inverkeithing and
Rosyth, by Rev. William Stephen, p.30.

xxxix S.W. and xliii N.W. 12 June 1928.

282. Dovecots, Inverkeithing. - In the burgh
there are three rectangular dovecots dating
from the late 17th century. Two stand in the
gardens between the houses and the railway,
while the third lies to the north-east in what was
formerly the orchard of Rosebery House (No.
278).

xxxix S.W. and xliii N.W. (unnoted). 12 June
1928.

283. Dovecot, Fordell. - A dovecot, measuring
externally 15 1/2 feet long by 13 1/2 feet wide, stands
in the west side of Crowhill Plantation about
200 yards west of Fordell Castle. It is built of
rubble with dressed quoins, has crow-stepped
flanks finished with ball finials, a slated roof
with moulded eaves-course to the south, and
on the flanks a stepped string-course. The
entrance, which faces south, has rybats back-
set and chamfered, while above it, as also in
each side wall, there is a circular opening. The
dovecot probably dates from the late 17th or
early 18th century.

xxxix (unnoted). 23 October 1930.

MISCELLANEOUS.

284. Burgh Arms, Town Hall. - The Town
Hall dates from 1770, but the Renaissance bell-
tower at the western end, containing in its

* "Beyond ordinary" or excessively, as in the
adjective "inordinary."

pediment a representation of the burgh arms,
dates from the 17th century. On the dexter
side of the armorial panel is St. Peter, wearing
a tiara and bearing a key in one hand and a
church in the other, which the sinister side shows
a ship with sails furled.

xxxix S.W. 12 June 1928.

285. Market Cross, Inverkeithing. - The mar-
ket cross (Fig. 306), dating from the 16th cen-
tury, stands in Townhall Street. It was moved
from the north end of the High Street to this posi-
tion in 1799. ¹ The shaft is octaganol in section
and rises from a graduated base. The capital is
moulded and is enriched with roses. On the
sides are four shields bearing arms as under
(cf. also No. 275) : (1) and (2) A lion rampant
within a tressure flory-counter-flory, the Royal
arms ; (3) A heart, on a chief three stars, for
Douglas; (4) Parted per pale : dexter, the
Royal arms ; sinister, five bars wavy, apparently
for Robert III and his queen Annabella Drum-
mond. Above the capital is a cubical sundial,
on which sits a unicorn supporting a shield
bearing a saltire. The unicorn was placed on the
cross in 1688, and the sundial is of the same time.

HISTORICAL NOTE. - The special connection
of Robert III and Annabella Drummond with
Inverkeithing (cf. No. 275), has not been
satisfactorily explained. A charter of 6 January
1399 in possession of the burgh ² provides for the
payment to that queen of an annual revenue of
100 shillings due to the Crown, but she had
revenues also from many other burghs. Their
eldest son, David, Duke of Rothesay, married
in 1400 a daughter of the third Earl of Douglas.

1 Stephen's Inverkeithing and Rosyth, pp. 23-4.
2 Ibid., p. 338.

xxxix S.W. (unnoted). 12 June 1928.

286. Dormer Pediments, &c., Inverkeithing. -
Two 17th-century dormer pediments are in-
serted in the schoolhouse in Church Street.
On one is St. Peter holding a key in one hand
and a church in the other, while the second
pediment bears a ship. On the front of the
adjoining property, No. 28 Church Street, is
inserted a carved panel, representing a ship, in
which is a figure of St. Peter bearing the
crossed keys.

xxxix S.W. 12 June 1928.

[Page] 159

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, Murray

  Location information for this page.

We're working hard to make our services better for you. While we're doing some essential maintenance, this website – or parts of it – might be intermittently unavailable at times between Monday 18 – Monday 25 November. Thank you for your patience.