List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Remains of Hospital and Site of Red Friars' Convent (Continued) [continued from page 56]
"A Convent of Mathurine, Robertine, Red, or Trinity Friars founded in the year 1392 by Sir James Lindsay, Knt. [Knight] a cadet of the ancestral house of the noble family of Crawford stood upon or near to the site of the town's Hospital at the foot of South Tay Street where the Catholic Chapel stands if indeed the hospital was not in reality the monastery itself. From some old papers which were obligingly communicated to us many years ago we are inclined to consider this establishment as having been at its erection a dependent of the ministry of the holy Trinity and Captivity at Berwick-upon-Tweed, the minister or superior of which was General of the whole order within Scotland, — at least the minister at Berwick in 1296 was General for in that year he swore fealty as General of the order to Edward I. of England as Lord Paramont of Scotland for the possessions of his own Convent in particular and generally for those of the whole brethren in the Kingdom. It is probable that like as in other Orders, the office and dignity of General was not unalterably annexed to one convent however this is certain that whatsoever individual held the office of General all the houses of the order wheresoever they were situated within his province were dependent on and subject to his authority during the time of his Generalship.
The first donation to this house was a tenement within the town which was granted by the founder in the foundation Charter but the position is not specified. Robert III. who is the only other bene­factor whose name has escaped the ravages of time by his charter under the great seal dated ___ confirming the foundation, dissolved the parish church of Kettins from the Mathurine Convent at Berwick-upon-Tweed and annexed it to this house." + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Of the money revenues of the convent nothing is known unless the various annuals in the town's ancient Rent Roll marked as payable to the hospital be considered as having previous to the Reformation belonged to the Friars. These annuals amount to £91.8.5 and shew in connection with other sources of revenue that whatever was the number of the brethren, their total income was considerable but perhaps not more than what would be necessary for the purposes of the institution of the order, for at least one fourth part of the revenues of every house of the order over all
[continued on page 58]

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 57

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Iain496

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.