List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
TOWN CHURCH formerly Trinity Church Town Church
Town Church
Trinity or Parish Church
Town Church
Parish Church
Ecclesia parochialis sancta Tunitatis
Town Church
Town Church
John Ramsay St Andrews
George Boyack Convenor etc St Andrews
Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account for Scotland] 1845
map of St Andrews 1843
Fullarton's Gazetteer 1847
Birds Eye view of St Andrews about 1530
Sibbalds Hist. [History] of Fife p. [page] 352
Leighton's Hist. [History] vol. [volume] 3 p. [page] 33
012 This Church is of a very plain style of architecture, but very large and was rebuilt in 1798 on the site of the old Parish Church said to be erected by Bishop Turgot so long ago as the year 1112. It is attended by two Ministers Dr Robert Haldane as first and the Rev George Buist 2nd. It is seated for about 2200 persons, comprising about 1100 Communicants, there is a Monument to the memory of Archbishop Sharp who was murdered in 1679 on Magus Muir, in the South wing of it. The first Minister receives on an average about £900 yearly & the 2nd £350

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 38
Parish of St Andrews Sheet 1 Trace 7

North Side of South Street [Situation]

[Signed] James McAna [McAnally] CA [Clerical Assistant or Civilian Assistant]

Transcriber's notes

Some words are partly lost in tight binding of right margin on this page.
The Description continues on Page 39.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.


  Location information for this page.