Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 39

"The Trinity or Parochial Church of the city was originally erected by Bishop Turgot about the beginning of the twelfth century. Prior to the Reformation it had a large establishment of chaplains and chorists [choristers ?] who officiated in the several chapels within its precincts. From a charter dated 1475 it appears that they then amounted to 30 of the former denomination and 15 of the latter. They were supported partly at least by small annual payments due to them from the different tenements within the city. At the Reformation they were suppressed and their revenues were transferred by a gift from Queen Mary to the common funds of the city. This church became the Archbishops Cathedral after the Reformation the large Cathedral being then demolished. It was thoroughly repaired 1798 the expense being defrayed by the city the heritors of the parish and the Crown in place of the Archbishop. It now consists of a nave 136 feet long by 57 broad and an aisle 44 1/2 feet by 28 1/2 within the walls. It is seated so as to accommodate 2200 hearers. In the aisle is a fine monument erected to the memory of Archbishop Sharp a few years after his murder. The ancient tower and spire of the church still remain, but a fine old bell which had hung in it for centuries and whose inscuption [inscription ?] bore that it had been cast by order of David Learmonth Provost of the City in honour of the Holy Trinity in the year 1108 was inconsiderably removed to make room for others of a more modern date. Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] of Fifeshire 1845

Transcriber's notes

Continuation of Description for Town Church from Page 38. Description further continues on Page 40.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.


  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.