List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
DUNBAR CASTLE (Ruins of) 006 [Continued from page 40]
On the east side is the donjon of the fortress and on the west side is shown a small apartment which is said to have been occupied by Queen Mary after she was conveyed to this place from Cramond Bridge by the Earl of Bothwell.
On the meeting of Parliament in 1567 the Castle of Dunbar which had for upwards of seven centuries withstood the ravages of time and
[Continued on page 42]

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 41
Parish of Dunbar

Page in F [Form] 136

Castle Continued
[Note] -- The venerable ruins of the Castle of Dunbar are justly esteemed
a remarkable piece of antiquity. There is no history nor tradition
to fix the date of this building or to point out the person by whom
it was erected. Camden narrates that Gospatrick Earl of Northumberland
retiring into Scotland from the Norman Conquest was honoured by
Malcolm Canmore with the Castle of Dunbar and Earldom of March
and that his posterity afterwards took the surname of Dunbar. King
Edward II. of England escaped to this Castle (then in the hands of
the English) after the Battle of Bannockburn and thence fled to
Berwick in a fisherman's boat. It has been large and built on
several rocks, within the sea mark. It was exceeding strong
and before the use of artillery quite impregnable. In some old
Records it is called Earl Patrick's strong house. It was always
esteemed a place of importance and the Key to Scotland on the S.E. [South East] borders
Dunbar was for many years during the cruel wars between the two
nations the scene of much action and bloodshed. The town was
[Continued on page 42]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Moira L- Moderator, ElaineF