Continued entries/extra info

[ Continued from previous page 16B]

granted by Robert Abbot of Kelso to
Cuningham of Craigens for payment of
6/8 [£0.6.8] yearly.
In 1633, Charles 2nd. founding the Bishoprick
of Edinburgh, granted Kilmaurs
Church Tythes to the Dean of St. Giles.
The Church of Kilmaurs is of considerable
antiquity & appears to have undergone
many alterations. It has
always been the Burial place of the
family of Glencairn. Their Tomb which
is close to the Church was erected by Earl
James in 1660. The Church is beautifully
placed on an eminence near the town
of Kilmaurs, a Borough of Barony erected
in the reign of James 5. Its earliest charter
is granted in 1507 by Cuthbert Earl of
Glencairn. In 1811 it contained 750 Inhabitants.
The Stream called Kilmaurs or
Carmel Water, which rises in the parish
of Fenwich & after lingering around the
ancient towers of Rowallan & gliding
in mazy links thro' [through] the meadows of
Kilmaurs, falls into the Irvine in the
Parish of Dreghorn. In a hollow near
the bank of this Stream stands a ruined
tower & dovecot evidently part of the
Establishment founded by Sir William
Cuningham in 1403. An ancient orchard
occupies the ground between it and

[Continued on next page 16D]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Chr1smac -Moderator, MoidyM

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.