Essential website maintenance

On Tuesday 11 June, a small number of our websites started experiencing some infrastructure-related issues. We are working to restore the functionality affected by these issues and anticipate this will be resolved by next week.

OS1/3/5/18

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
ST JOHN THE BAPTIST'S CHURCH Ruin (12th Century) Hugh Miller Provost
Alexander Fullarton
J. J. McDerment
033 [Situation] In the Centre of The Fort.
The Burgh or Parish Church was dedicated to St John the Baptist and is understood to have been founded in the 12th Century. Its form was that of a Cross being nearly double the length of the transept and at the eastern end of the nave there was a Gothic Window of elegant form and richly ornamented. Of this venerable Gothic structure nothing now remains but its tower to which the west end of it was Conjoined. Its form ⁜however may still be traced faintly by a Careful Survey of the Ground on which it stood. ++++++++ In 1560 the Care of the Church & Parish was transferred to the Reformed Clergy among the first of whom was the Rev [Reverend] John Welsh who was a Son - in law of the Celebrated Reformer Knox +++++++
In 1652 Oliver Cromwell finding the Ground around the Church a fit situation for a fort, took possesion of it and converted the Church into an armoury. The exterior of it remained entire long after the building of the fort, even after its demolition. The present old Church of Ayr was built to supply its place. -
Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] of Ayrshire
⁜Now entirely defaced.
AYR ARMS' INN [Ayr] Nil 033 [Situation] West Side of Sandgate Street near the Assembly Rooms.
A House of first rate accomodation principally used by County gentlemen

Continued entries/extra info

[Page 18]
Sheet 7 Ayr

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Nellie- Moderator, JCB

  Location information for this page.