Essential maintenance
HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:
- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)
- Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)
- Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)
General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

OS1/3/5/18

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
ST JOHN THE BAPTIST'S CHURCH Ruin (12th Century) Hugh Miller Provost
Alexander Fullarton
J. J. McDerment
033 [Situation] In the Centre of The Fort.
The Burgh or Parish Church was dedicated to St John the Baptist and is understood to have been founded in the 12th Century. Its form was that of a Cross being nearly double the length of the transept and at the eastern end of the nave there was a Gothic Window of elegant form and richly ornamented. Of this venerable Gothic structure nothing now remains but its tower to which the west end of it was Conjoined. Its form ⁜however may still be traced faintly by a Careful Survey of the Ground on which it stood. ++++++++ In 1560 the Care of the Church & Parish was transferred to the Reformed Clergy among the first of whom was the Rev [Reverend] John Welsh who was a Son - in law of the Celebrated Reformer Knox +++++++
In 1652 Oliver Cromwell finding the Ground around the Church a fit situation for a fort, took possesion of it and converted the Church into an armoury. The exterior of it remained entire long after the building of the fort, even after its demolition. The present old Church of Ayr was built to supply its place. -
Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] of Ayrshire
⁜Now entirely defaced.
AYR ARMS' INN [Ayr] Nil 033 [Situation] West Side of Sandgate Street near the Assembly Rooms.
A House of first rate accomodation principally used by County gentlemen

Continued entries/extra info

[Page 18]
Sheet 7 Ayr

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Nellie- Moderator, JCB

  Location information for this page.