List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Town House
Town House
Town House
J Hardie Esq. Provost
Mr R. Glen Town Clerk
Mr Henderson W.S. [Writer to the Signet]
Mr A. Colquhoun Superintednant of County Polices
001 [Situation] On th N. [North] side of "The Cross" and S. [South] end of Kirkgate
A very fine dressed Stone building, standing on the N. [North] side the "Cross" - It was originally erected in 1668 and is very strongly built the walls being tween 3 & 4 feet thick. it is three storeys high ending in a parapet wall with a projecting moulding - The ground floor Contains the lobby, at the principal entrance Under the piazza - Witness room and Record Room - The first floor, to which there is a back entrance on the N. [North] through the tower, Contains the Council Chamber and Court House which is fitted up in the usual Manner - Here the Sheriff's Criminal, Small debts, & Ordinary Courts are held, together with the Justice of Peace Court held on

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 37

Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4

"The town house was built in 1668 and contains
the Jail Sheriff-Court house and town-hall. The
County buildings in the rear of the town-house are
plain in their exterior. The hall is a fine apartment
adorned with fine portraits of John Earl of Hopetoun
by Raeburn and of Sir Alexander Hope by Watson Gordon." -
New Stat. [Statistical] Acct. [Account] of Co. [County] |Linlithgow

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.


  Location information for this page.