List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CARRIDEN CHURCH 001 [Carriden Church Continued]
"The church was built in 1766 the old church having stood about half a mile distant in close proximity to the mansion house of Carriden where the Old Churchyard still remains" -- New Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] of Linlithgowshire p. 73

The church of Carriden was bestowed by William de Vetereponte on the monks of Holyrood in the twelfth century. It was confirmed to them by successive bishops of St Andrew's and particularly by David bishop of that see 1240. When the bishoprick of Edinburgh was erected this church was transferred to it with the other hurches which belong to that monastery and was disannexed from it when that episcopate was abolished, and acquired by the family of Hamilton which now possesses it. -- Penney's History of Linlithgowshire. pages 147-8.

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 37

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Moira L- Moderator, Allanna

  Location information for this page.