List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
KINNEIL CHURCH 001 [Continued]
was detained in England. However in December 1669 William and Anne Duke and Duchess of Hamilton obtained an Act of the Scots Parliament declaring the church built within the town to be "the Kirk of the hail barony of Kinneil and Bo'ness" From that period the parishes have been united and considered as one.

The inhabitants of the barony have ceased to inter at Kinneil, as burying-ground has been provided near the Bo'ness churchyard. In the latter are several expensively sculptured monuments, some of which were erected by families now extinct whose names have been
obliterated to give place to others. -- New Stat. Acct [Statistical Account] of Co. [County] Linlithgow page 142.

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 27

The ruins of the old church of Kineil with its burying-ground are Still to be seen
a little westward of Kineil House which was once dignified by the residence of
the Dukes of Hamilton and was ruined by the reformers as we have seen.The two
parishes with the old and new stipends were now merged in one parish. In 1672 an
act of parliament was made and passed for the express of repairing the Kirk of Borrowstounness -- Penny's History page 153

It was formerly mentioned that Bo'ness is an united parish. A little west from
Kinniel House the ruins of the old church and burying ground of Kinniel are still to be
seen. -- Old Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] vol. [volume] 18 page 437

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Moira L- Moderator, ethne30

  Location information for this page.