List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
KINNEIL CHURCH 001 The ruins of the Old parish church and the burying ground of Kinneil are still to be seen a little west from Kinneil House. No. records remain; but the inhabitants of the barony still observe some old customs connected with the ancient parish; and there are a few relics which they hold in veneration and preserve with great care. The communion table linen and part of the Communion and other articles are in the possession on Mr William Thomson farmer Upper Kinneil.

About the year 1634, the inhabitants of Bo'ness induced by the increasing prosperity and importance of the place and considering the parish church at Kinneil at an inconvennient distance from the town, built a place of worship for themselves. The minister of the parish to accommodate the inhabitants of the town preached in this place of wors [worship] as well as in the parish church of Kinneil till the year 1649 when a petition was presented to the parliament of Scotland for a disjunction from Kinneil and a separate min [minister]. Parliament granted the prayer of the petition and after several visitations the presbytery of Linlithgow found it necessary that Bo'ness should be erected into a parish by itself, bounded on the south by Graham's Dike, on the north by the sea, on the east
by Thirlestone, and on the west by the Castle wall Commonly called "Capie's Wall". Some objection appears to have been made to the measure as it was effected whilst James Duke of Hamilton the sole proprietor of the lands and teinds of the parish

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 26
Parish of Borrowstounness
Sheet 1 -- No. 10 -- Trace 3

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Moira L- Moderator, ethne30

  Location information for this page.