List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Mars Work Marr's Work
Marr's Work Mar's Work
Mar's Work
Mar's Work
Mar's Work
Mar's Work
Maur's Work
Stat. [Statistical] Account of Scotland
History of Stirlingshire,
Mr William Galbraith Town Clerk,
Revd [Reverend] William Findlay,
Revd [Reverend] Mr McLachlan,
Old Title Deeds dated 1741,
Earl of Mar's Signature
Map of Stirling dated 1820
017.03 The Building at the upper end of Broad Street, known by the name of Marr's Work, which has long been a Ruin, but which still retains traces of elaborate and costly Architecture, and when intire, must have been a magnificent edifice, was erected by John Erskine, Sixth Earl of Mar, of the name Erskine. There are Still to be traced upon it, some quaint inscriptions. Here he resided with great Splendour, during the brief period of his Occupancy. The date 1570 probably determines the time of its Completion. This was the year proceeding his Appointment to the regency, And only two years before his death. The Stones in great part were taken from Cambuskenneth Abbey. While this Palatial residence was in the Possession of Annabella, the Regents Widow, it was Occupied for a time in 1573 by James & his Queen, until their Own palace in the Castle was made ready for their Occupation". Stat [Statistical] Account of Scotland

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 49

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

DANIALSAN, Brenda Pollock

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.