List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Poor House Poor House
Poor House
Poor House
Mr William Galbraith Town Clerk
Revd [Reverend] William Findlay
Revd [Reverend] Mr McLachlan
010.15 A large collection of Stone buildings & comprises a Poorhouse, Lunatic Asylum, Hospital, Board Rooms etc. Situated in Union Street, was erected in 1856 by the Burgh & Parish of Stirling at an expense of betwixt five and six thousand pounds, the Poorhouse is one, two & three Storeys high, and Contains the usual males and females Wards, Governor's Apartments, Boys and Girls School rooms, And a large Dining hall which is turned into a Chapel on the Sunday. Adjoining are also the Cookhouse, Washhouses, Laundry etc with the Several Airing grounds. The Lunatic Asylum, which is Small and only one Storey high is Contiguous to the Poorhouse, and contains the usual male and females Wards Airing Grounds etc. The hospital is two Storeys and also Contains the usual males and females Wards. The Whole is under the management of a Parochial Board and other Officials, and is Supported Solely by Annual Assessment on the parish.
A teacher is appointed at a fixed Salary to educate the Children, a Surgeon is appointed also who visits daily. The internal Arrangements are conducted by the Governor & Matron With the usual number of Wardens and Keepers. The daily average numbers of inmates for the last Six months is, Poorhouse 40 males, 80 females Asylum 5 males & 5 females.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 10

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

DANIALSAN, Brenda Pollock

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.