Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/22/3/80

Continued entries/extra info

[page]80............................................................................................. -- Examiners replies to each of the underlined portions
Broad Street Buildings, London, who was born at Auldearn
the 25th December 1767, and died in London the 24th Novr. [November] 1838.
This building is surrounded by a stone wall, inclosing nearly
¼ of an acre, imperial measure. The ground with the road
by which it is approached was given for the purpose by
Sit Frederick William Dunbar, of Boath, Bart.
Antiquities.- On the higher ground in the parish, and
on the Cawdor estate, are the remains of two Druidical
temples - one at Golford, the other near the site of the old............................. -- both shown
castle of Moyness The latter consists of two concentric circles.......................... -- Site of Castle shown
of large stones. It has appendage not generally found
attached to Druidical circles, and named a Rocking stone................................ -- Removed
It is large, and might weigh about 4 tons. It rocks slightly,
only when passed over in a particular direction. The rocking
stone is supposed to have been used as an ordeal for the
conviction of criminals.
On a small eminence called "the black hillocl," there was................................ -- obsolete
dug up, about 1830, a coffin composed of large flag stones,
and containing a large and perfect skeleton. Near it were............................... -- Situation Shown
found also five or 6 ancient urns, filled with ashes and pieces
of burned bone.
The ruins of the castle of Moyness are now but a heap of stones.
About a mile north of the church, lies the old castle of Inschoch,....................... -- written
the family residence of the Hays of Lochloy, now called Lochlee,....................... -- written "Lochloy"
who once possessed a considerable proportion of the lands in
this parish. Within the ruins of Elgin cathedral there is a.................................. -- copied into N.S.
stone sarcophagus with a recumbent Knight in full armour
on the lid; and the inscription tells us that the mortal remains
within are those of William de le Hay of Lochloy, who died 1421.
A mile eastward of the church stood till lately the old...................................... -- Site of shown. But
house of Penick, the residence of the Deans of Moray...................................... -- cancelled by Captn. [Captain] Wilson R.E [Royal Engineers]
Immediately west of the church, there is a small round................................... -- as it was only a private mansion
hill, evidently artificial, formerly called the Castlehill....................................... -- written "Dooket Hill" Its origin is obscure & nothing is known
It is on the property of Boath, but not even a tradition.................................... -- regarding its having been a justice seat. See N.S. for further
.......................................................................................................... -- particulars

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Bizzy- Moderator

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.