Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/22/3/79

Continued entries/extra info

[page]79............................................................................... -- Examiners replies to each of the underlined portions
In the moss of Lettie on the property of the Earl of Cawdor............... -- obsolete
there is an extensive bed of pure marl, from the use of which
the agriculturist has in many parts of the parish experienced............. -- Not examined yet
the greatest benefit. Marl is also found in other parts
of the Parish.
The only place in the parish that derives its name from
an historical event is a farm calle Knock-na-gillan,or,
the Young Men's Hillock. Here the Cummings of Rait put.................. -- written
to death 12 out of 13 young men of the clan Msckintosh,
whom they had apprehended while passing thro' the Parish.
Battle of Auldearn. -The ground to the south and west
of the cillage was the scene of one of the victories of the cele-
brated Marquis of Montrose over the Covenanter on the 9th.............. -- site of Battle Shown
May 1645. The latter seem to have occupied very nearly
the line of the present road between Newmill & Auldearn;................. -- Both written
their right wing being posted on the site of the modern village,
and their left resting on the Bog of Newmill.................................... -- obsolete
Besides Hay of Kinnudie, there fell on the part of the........................ -- written "Kinnudie"
Covenanters, Campbell of Lawers, Captn. [Captain] Barnard Mac-
Kenzie, Sir John Murray, Mr. Gideon Murray, and............................ -- Date of erection of Church
Alexander Drummond of Meidhope. The death of the....................... -- obscure - believed to be after 1757 - Nothing is Known
last three is commemorated by two tombstones; one in the.............. -- about the old Church, & whether it had
church yard, the other with a tablet within the choir of..................... -- a dedicated name or not. See description
the old church, the only part of that building which now remains........ -- remark on Parish Church for further information
In a field to the south west of the village, there is a
small clump of Trees enclosed with a dike familiarly
known by the name of the Dead Wood. Here many of...................... -- Shown & written
those slain in the battle of Auldearn are buried.
On a small eminence on the east of the village, there
has just been erected a handsome building, intended
for an infant school On this school is the following in-
scription "To perpetuate the memory of a man of worth, and............. -- written "Innes School"
for the education of infants in his native parish, the building
was erected by the friends of John Innes, Esquire of

82

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Bizzy- Moderator

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.