Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/11/132/12

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
PINKIE HOUSE "room during a summer from its mitred proprietor, for the covert and unhallowed indulgence of miserable Concubinage. The first Earl of Dunfermline died in the house in 1622, and was laid out in state in the Church of InveresK. The wounded at the battle of Pinkie were lodged in the painted gallery, and occupied it as an hospital."Fullarton's Gazetteer of Scotland Vol. [Volume] II Page 545
Nor of the origin of PinKie House have we any authentic accounts. It appears to have been originally a country seat appertaining ex officio to the Abbots of Dunfermline; and after the Reformation to have become private property. In 1593 the Abbacy was annexed to the Crown but the lordship of Musselburgh was excepted, and when afterwards a charter of infeftment was ratified in favour of the Earl of Lauderdale of the same lordship that of PinKie was excepted in favour of the Earl of Dunfermline. &c, &c, Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] 1845

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 12
[continued from page 11]

Transcriber's notes

This Name Book refers to Musselburgh 1853 - Sheet 09
OS large scale Scottish town plans, 1847-1895 - Scale: 1:1056

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Bizzy- Moderator, Christine Y

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.