Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/21/22/21

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CHURCH [Dolphinton] Church
Church
Church
Church
Kirk
Kirk
John Ord McKenzie Esqr.
Rev. Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Aiton
Mr John Smith
Statistical Acct. [Account] of Lanarkshire
Johnston's County Map dated 1816
Forrest's County Map
027.08 The Parish Church of Dolphinton is a small, plain quadrangular building said to have been erected in the 12th century, it is seated to accomodate 120 persons, which accomadation is much too small for the number of persons attending. The Minister's stipend is £150 per annum with £8.6.8 for communion elements,
"Mr. Bowie laid out 8000 merks for the lands of Stonypath (Ph. [Parish] of Dunsyre) and in 1759 he mortified them to the Minister and Kirk-Session of Dolphinton, to be disposed of as follows, 100 merks to the Schoolmaster for educating 20 Scholars, 100 merks for educating any lad of bright genius, to be allowed for six years, whom failing to pay apprentice fees; 50 merks either to be distributed among the poor of the Parish or to be laid out in buying books for the poor scholars, & 50 merks to the Minister with all the profits arising from the lands to compensate him for his trouble as factor"
The Minister's Stipend and emoluments amount in all to about £300 per annum.

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 21
Parish of Dolphinton

Transcriber's notes

Also written on page in column 3 -
Note - Enquiries have been made as to the dedicatory name of this Church, but no information can be obtained on the subject. J L.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

rowan163

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.