OS1/20/151/270
List of names as written | Various modes of spelling | Authorities for spelling | Situation | Description remarks |
---|---|---|---|---|
WATERWORKS | Waterworks | Mr McLellan Esqr Kirkcudbright John Broom |
050 | The apparatus by which the inhabitants of the town as supplied with water was first put into operation on the 23rd March 1763 The following us a description of the construction and operation in detail. The water is collected in Small cisterns from whence it is conveyed through lead pipes to a tank or Reservoir occupying the whole basement floor of the Tower at the Old Jail from this Tank it is conducted to the various fountains distributed through various parts of the Town There are four Fountains each Supplied with a valve and one at the Market Cross which has two valves at any of these fountains by pulling a String the valve is raised and a copious Supply of good water is obtained which ceases as Soon as the String is let go. The Supply of water rarely fails and is of excellent quality, proving and inestimable boon to the inhabitants doubtless contributing in no Small degree to the proverbial Cleanliness and health of the Town None of the fountains or any part of the works displays |
Continued entries/extra info
[Page] 270List of Names collected by 2nd Corpl [Corporal] William Rogers RS&Miners [Royal Sappers and Miners]
50D
Transcribers who have contributed to this page.
Skinnb1- Moderator
Location information for this page.
Linked mapsheets.