Continued entries/extra info

[page] 106f
[at top, far right] Examiners replies to each [of] the underlined portions.

This was at one period a distinct parish from Duthil. It was
disunited and formed into a Quoad Sacra parish, by act of Parliament
V. Geo. IV. Cap. 90 [5th year George the Fourth, chapter 90], in the year 1824 The church situated to the
west of the Mansion house of the Doune, was rebuilt by Sir J.P. [John Peter] Grant,
at an expense of 395£. The manse situated at the base of the
Ord-bàn was completed by the Commissioners under the above act in
the year 1830, at an expense of nearly £750. and the present incumbent
was inducted in September of that year.
No fairs are held in this parish, and the only public house is one at
the boat-house of Inverdruie. -- No Public house in the ph [parish] the public house & ferry opposite Inverdruie are both extinct
Copied by Patrick Lynch C.A. [Civilian Assistant]

Extracts from Old Statistical Account
United parishes of Duthil and Rothiemurchus; the former in -- Described
Elginshire and the latter in Inverness-shire.
river Dulnan -- written & described
Dulleybridge -- Not known - Dulnan written & described
The language principally spoken is the Gaelic, and the names of
places are derived from that language; as Craig-Elachie, "Rock
of Alarm." There are two rocks of the same name, one at each extremity -- see traces & name sheet
of the country called Strathspey, about 30 miles distant. Upon the
approach of an enemy, the signal was sent from one to the other, for all fit
to bear arms to appear at an appointed place. Hence the Grants motto,
"Stand fast Craig Elachie." -- The only principal inn in the ph [parish]
is at Aviemore. -- Now known as Aviemore House
Glenchearnich, signifying in Gaelic, "Glen of Heroes."
Rothiemurchus was united to Duthil in 1625. The name in
Gaelic is Raat-mher-ghiuish, "great plain of fir." -- Entry erased, over it written: Notices in describ[ed?] remark --
Upon a small island in Lochnellan is a castle, built time im-
memorial, the walls of which are still entire. -- This is called Loch-an-Eilean in N.S. [New Statistical] Account & Lochaneilan in Fullar[tons] Gazetteer which is correct [overwritten] Not in Duthil ph [parish]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.


  There are no linked mapsheets.