No image found
List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Oathlaw (Continued) [continued from page 1]
the Retour of Service granted in favour of Lord Kinnoull. 16th May 1635, among other properties & rights belonging to the barony of Finhaven, there is mention made of the "Villa de Oathlaw", - The probability, therefore, is, that when the old church near the Castle fell into decay, the Church of Oathlaw became the parish Church. In the Session records, which commence only in the year 1716, the parish is called Oathlaw, & spelled "Outhlaw". It may be remarked, that at present there is no particular hill in this parish bearing this name, & therefore, when it is considered that the barony of Finhaven constitutes 4/5ths of the parish, & that the Hill of Finhaven, with its celebrated vitrified fort & the Castle of Finhaven, so conspicuous in the history of Scotland as the residence of the Earl of Lindsay & Crawford.
The parish lies about 4 miles north from Forfar, on the south bank of the South Esk which in some places forms the boundary line . It is bounded on the South by the parishes of Rescobie & Aberlemno; and on the West by the parish of Kirriemuir. About 2 miles North West of the Hill of Finaven there are the remains of the well known Roman Camp of Battledykes" New Statistical Account
No portion of this parish is detached, nor any portion of any other parish contained within the boundary of this parish.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 2

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Alice Bremner

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.