List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
ROYAL INFIRMARY [Montrose] Royal Infirmary and Dispensary on site of Castle & Fort Hill

Royal Infirmary and Dispensary on site of Castle & Fort Hill
Royal Infirmary and Dispensary on site of Castle & Fort Hill
Adam Burness Esqr.
Mr. Myres
Mr. Wood
Mr. Greig St Mary's Board
035 A tolerably sized and fine built edifice, was erected in 1839 at a cost of £2500 Mr. Burness & Wood say that it is built upon, or pretty near what was the summit of a small eminence called Fort Hill and on which a Castle had stood as tradition reports but no remains of such have been found in the memory of any person now living, further than a stratum of human bones was disclosed during operations for the erection of the Suspension Bridge.
"Among the few Antiquities, which Montrose can boast of, the Forthill which takes its name from the Castle, built on its summit, deserves to be mentioned. From its position it was well adapted to command the town, the harbour, and the shipping in the River. A Well was discovered a few years ago on the brink, and when the water is clear and smooth, another has been seen a good way into the River. Both of them in all probability have been once within the fort"
Old Stat Acct. [Statistical Account]
The Wells cannot now be pointed out.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 63
Sheet 35-2 No 22 -- Town of Montrose -- Forfarshire

Royal Infirmary
[Initialled] JB
Lt Col. [Lieutenant Colonel]
site of "Fort Hill"
[Initialled] JB
See next page

This ground, without the Royalty of Montrose, was
acquired by the Town from the Constable of Dun in 1825.
It formed part of the Barony of Dun, and is alluded
to as the "Constable Hill"
[Initialled] J.B. Lt.Col. [Lieutenant Colonel]

"The Castle of Montrose had a commanding
position upon, or near to the Forthill, about a mile
above the fall of the South Esk into the Sea. The time
of its erection is unknown; but in the year 980 the Danes
are said to have obtained anchorage in that river, and
to have begun their predatory incursions into Scotland
which were ultimately checked by Kenneth III at Luncarty,
by destroying both the town and Castle of Montrose &
putting the Citizens to the Sword. But the real history
of the Castle dates from the time of William the Lion. He
made it an occasional residence, dated Charters from it
between the years 1178 & 1198. From 1261-2 until the Wars of
independence, no trace is found of the Castle. It was captured
and destroyed by Wallace in 1297." - Memorials of Angus & Mearns.

It would seem to be more than doubtful
whether the Castle of Montrose ever stood on
the Fort Hill - The Town Clerk and others
coincide in this view. [Initialled] JB LtCol RE [Lieutenant Colonel Royal Engineers]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Caspell

  Location information for this page.