List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CHAPEL OF EASE [Broughty Ferry] Chapel of Ease
Chapel of Ease
Chapel of Ease
Revd [Reverend] John Wood L.L.D. [Doctor of Laws]
Revd [Reverend] James Lamont
Mr James Lindsay
054 [Situation] At the east end of Brook Street.
A good stone building, erected by subscription 1827.
No. of Sittings 850, Rent of each sitting 3/9 [£0.3.9] per annum.
No. of Communicants 700.
Minister's John Wood L.L.D. [Doctor of Laws] and James Lamont, the latter is to succeed Mr Wood.
Salary Mr Wood's £90, Mr Lamont £100, - obtained from seat rents, and collections at the door, the Sum raised from the above sources during the last year was £336.10.9.
"This and several other Chapels over the Country were "Quoad Sacra" before the Session of 1843, but in consequence of certain legal decisions at that time they all revert to their former status "Chapel of Ease" and so remain till they be "Endowed". The name "Quoad Sacra" is still often loosely applied to many of these Chapels and to this one among the rest, but it is inaccurate". Mr Lamont.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 102
Parish of Monifieth -- Sheet 54.8 trace 5

[Page signed]
John Jane
Sr. R.E. [Sapper Royal Engineers]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Iain496, IanMcC

  Location information for this page.