List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
[Broughty Castle continued] [continued from page 101]
Broughty Castle situated on a point of rock projecting into the Tay near the western boundary of the parish is an ancient place of strength well adapted for commanding the river which is here only a mile broad but stretches out to a much greater width both above and below it. The ruins spread over a considerable extent but the only part of the building now remaining is a large square Keep at present used as a signal tower by the Coast guard. Boece mentions the existence of this stronghold in 1492 but the date of its erection is not known. After the victory at Musselburgh 10th. September 1547, the English garrisoned this Castle as the Key of the Tay. In a short time Regent Arran besieged it but after much loss during three months' ineffectual effort abandoned the attempt leaving James Haliburton the youthful and brave provost of Dundee to keep watch and prevent provisions being carried to the garrison. Next year the Earl of Argyle made a desperate but fruitless assault on the place. Hereafter Monsieur D'Essy who commanded the Scottish army made a third attempt at its reduction with similar ill success and it was not till the beginning of 1550 that it was stormed and carried by De Thermes Commander of the allied army of Scotch, French, and Germans. The fortification was immediately dismantled but we find that towards the end of the century the Master of Gray inhabitated the Castle as a dwelling house. After the death of Lady Gray who lived in it for a considerable period it was altogether abandoned. New Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] of Forfarshire p. [page] 547

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 100
Sheet 54 No 8 Trace 5

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, IanMcC

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.