List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Site of CUPAR CHURCH AND GRAVE YARD Site of Cupar Church and Grave Yard Peter Shaw Esq Cupar
Peter Scott Esq Cupar
[situation] About 1/4 of a Mile N.W. [North West] of the Town of Cupar.
The site of what was the Parish Church of Cupar in former times - it Stood within an old enclosed grave yard, which is now part of the estate of Springfield. Save that it was the Parish Church of Cupar and stood within a grave yard, there is no local tradition connected with it. the date of its erection or when it became abandoned, as a place of worship is not locally known, in 1828 the last remnants of its foundations with large quantities of human bones were turned up by some Workmen employed at agricultural purposes on its site which is at present under Cultivation " In Leighton's History of Fife it is thus noticed " Page 12. " The Parish Church of Cupar of old, belonged to the Priory of St. Andrews - in 1415 that building had become ruinous, and in that year the Prior of St. Andrews erected a new church for the Accommodation of the Inhabitants" - he also says " The Church of Cupar originally stood at some distance from the Town at a place formerly called the Old Kirkyard"

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 3
Cupar -- Sheet 1 Trace 4

"In the same manner has the burial ground of the Parish of Cupar which lay at [Continued on Page 4]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Trondragirl- Moderator, MaxInSpain

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.