List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
ST JOHN'S CHAPEL (Site of) [Drem] Chapel (remains of) Chapel (remains of) Chapel (remains of) St John's Chapel
St John's Chapel
P. Burns
George Forrest
Stat Acct [Statistical Account] (1841),
Sinclair's Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] 1835,
Fullarton's Gazetteer
005 [Situation] In the W. [West] End of Drem Village
The remains of an ancient chapel which formerly belonged to the Knights Templars.

The garden in which the remains of this chapel is situated was originally a grave yard, human bones have been frequently found in the course of cultivation

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 6
Parish of Athgelstaneford

Form 136 Page
40 Chapel (Remains of|)

"The chapel, the greater part of
still remains, appears
to have been a small, but a
neat structure, and the burial
ground attached is now converted
into a fruit garden." See Stat. Acct [Statistical Account] (1841).

"The only antiquities in this parish are the vestiges of a Camp seemingly
Danish concerning which there is no tradition and history is silent, and
the remains of a chapel called St John's chapel, which belonged to the
Knights Templars." Sinclairs Stat. Acct. vol [Statistical Account volume] 10 p. [page] 175

"The remains of a chapel in the village of Drem called St John's chapel
which belonged to the Knights Templars." Fullarton's Gazetteer.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Trondragirl- Moderator, Ian Anderson

  Location information for this page.