List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CUMBERNAULD [Parish] (Continued) Cumbernauld Parish/ continued [continued from page 1]
of this moor are two small lochlets; and there once were others, which have been drained. The remainder of the Parish is mostly arable with a deep clay soil, and tolerable fertile. Lime, coal ironstone and freestone are extensively worked." (There is very little of either coal or ironstone wrought in the parish). "There are about 50 landowners. Some traces of Antoninus' wall occur along the northern border, and vestiges of a Roman road in the Moss of Fannyside. The Forth & Clyde Canal traverses the northern border. The new road from Glasgow to Falkirk cuts the Parish transversely. The Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway goes through the interior to the south of the Canal, and has one Station at Croy, and another immediately beyond the parochial By. [Boundary] at Castlecary". (This Ry. [Railway] Station is within the Parochial By. [Boundary]) The Greenhill fork of the Caledonian Railway (properly the "Castlecary Branch") connecting the Scottish Central with the Caledonian Main trunk, goes south westward through the interior, and had till lately a station for Cumbernauld. Population in 1831, 3,080; in 1837, 3,378. Houses 478. Assessed property in 1843, £15,429. 10s 11d. This Parish is in the presbytery of Glasgow, & Synod of Glasgow & Ayr." Fullartons Gazetteer.

The Parish Church is in Cumbernauld Village, besides which there is a Free Church and a U.P. [United Presbyterian] Church. There are three schools in Cumbernauld, one at Condorrat, and one at Muirhead; three of these are adventure schools.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 2

Dumbartonshire (Det. [Detached[) -- Cumbernauld Parish

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, MoiraGray

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.