Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 2
[Tinwald Parish continued}

The Parish of Tinwald lies doubtfully between Annandale and Nithsdale districts, but is generally considered to belong mainly to the former; none of it is within the boundaries of any other Parish neither is there a part of another Parish comprehended within its Parish Boundaries, - altho' it may at sametime be remarked that the ancient Parish of Trailflat is now united to it. See Page 3.Bounded on the North and North West by the Parish of Kirkmahoe, on the North-east by thatof Kirkmichael, on the East by Lochmaben, on the South-east by Torthorwald and on the South-west by Dumfries, its greatest length from North to South is 5 1/2 miles and its greatest breadth 4 1/3 miles, cosequently superficial area may be roughly compued at 15 square miles or 9,600, Imperial Acres ior according to Statistics of Parish 9,405. acres, whereof there may be 7,289. arable, 350 Pasture and Meadow, 119 Wood and 1647 unreclaimed land. The Hills have a gentle acclivity, which are the Northern part of a range extending S.E. [South East] through the Parishes of Torthorwald and Mouswald, admit of cultivation to the tops, the highest is about 682 feet. Lochar Moss at the west side of the Parish is oartially reclaimed into a fine meadow. There are two small pieces of water called respectively Black and Murder Loch, the latter at one time of great depth, now partially reclaimed. The chief Streams are the Water of Ae and Lochar Water, the farmer of which farms the northern Parish Boundary is a very rapid Stream and very liable to floods, is continually undermining its banks owing to the gravelly nature of its bed. There are two minor Streams respectively Park Burn and Amisfield Burn, the former tracing the Western Parish Boundary, which uniting near Lochar Briggs assume the Name of Lochar Water. The Turnpike Road from Dumfries to Moffat bisects the Parish - from S.W. [South West] to N.E. [North East] having a branch at N.E. [North East] extremity running in a N.W. [North West] direction for a short distance through Parish. No minerals abound - no manufacture of any extent is carried on, and the only one ever known was a Bleach-work, now almost extinct. Peat exists in considerable quantities and is still used by the poorer class for fuel. The Parish Church a praic barn-like edifice was built in 1763, has accommodation for 400 Sitters, but inconveniently

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Brenda Pollock

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.