Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/10/40/1A

Continued entries/extra info

carried on and no minerals abound. The majority of the population are agricultural labourers almost exclusively employed on the Duke of Buccleuch's lands. Population about 3000. There are three villages viz Thornhill, Carronbridge and Gateleybrige. Gateleybridge is a small hamlet towards the S.E extremity of this Parish has a population of about 80 employed for the most part in the quarry adjoining. In it is a School supported by the Duke of Buccleugh erected by him in 1842. Also in the vicinity a commodious Workhouse for the Poor of Upper Nithsdale. On Carron Water near the centre of W[ester]n Boundary is situate the village of Carronbridge, the houses are with two or three exceptions one storey high. Its general appearance is tidy and clean. Population 225. It its S[outher]n vicinity is a School erected and supported by the Duke of Buccleuch, also an extensive Saw-Mill. Towards the S.W on the Summit of a ridge is situate Thornhill a large and beautiful village, which is considered to be the most tidy and generally attractive of its class in Britain. It has Authority for holding a weekly Market, in it four fairs an annually held on 2nd Tuesday (O.S.) of Feb[ruary], May, Aug[ust] and Nov[ember]. The Streets are wide and always clean and in numerous instances have broad stripes of grass between the pavement and the roadway, the houses with a few exceptions are uniform - one storey Cottages with small gardens behind. In it are Branch Offices of the British Linen Co[mpany] Bank, Western Bank and Union Bank - A sub Post Office, two first class Inns or Hotels, a Free Masons' Hall, a Brewery, a Tannery, several Public houses and an United Presbyterian Chapel. At the intersection of the principal Streets stands an elegant pillar surmounted by a Pegasus and Queensberry Arms. There is also a small Museum kept in a house, which is private property and merely a speculation. The Shops in the principal Streets are elegantly fitted up and lighted with Gas. The village is wholly under the superiority of the Duke of Buccleuch by whom it has been very liberally improved. Population 2000. The Parish Church, a handsome Gothic Structure was erected 1840-41 exclusively at the expense of of the Duke of Buccleuch, is prominently situate on a rising ground in the N.E[astern] vicinity of Thornhill. It has about 1200 sittings free. Stipend £236 2 [shillings] 7 [pence] with commodious manse & Glebe, the latter of the annual value of £25. The Parish School a substantial and most commodious building is situate between the Church and Thornhill and is usually attended by almost 100 scholars. Salary attached £34 4/4½ 34[pounds] 4[shillings] 4½ [pence] with house, garden and 2 acres of land and the School fees. The Schools at Carronbridge and Gateleybridge are side Parochial Schools but it may also be remarked that they were merely erected and almost entirely supported by the voluntary acts of Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch. It is not compulsory on the Duke of Buccleuch as sole proprietor of almost the entire Parish to endow

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

lowlandscot

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.