List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
DUMFRIES 049;050;
(See Dumfries). Two Stone Bridges Connect the Burgh with Maxwelltown called The Old Bridge and The New Bridge, the former constructed in the 13th Centy. [Century] is now used merely for foot passengers, the other, is a handsome Stone Structure of 5 Arches, at which there is a toll, the Customs levied on Cattle alone having been Known to exceed £700 [Per] Annum. - The district Commands all advantages for building purposes and these are 4 freestone quarries worKed at an annual outlay of about £1200. - There are three Parochial Schools and 40 private ones, in some of which the higher branches are taught. - There are two Parish Churches and a Quoad Sacra one, besides numerous Chapels belonging to different denominations All within the Burgh. The various Antiquities - with the exception of a Roman Camp on Camp Hill occur within the Burgh and have been Sufficiently noticed in the description of the Town.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 4 Parish of Dumfries [Continued]

[Signed] J B Junor

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Chr1smac -Moderator, Stoofer

  Location information for this page.