Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/8/2/47

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
ALLOA TOWER Alloa Tower
Alloa Tower
Alloa Tower
Alloa Tower
Alloa Tower
Mr William McLeay
James Moir Esq
Mr Thomas Anderson
Statistical Account
Map of Alloa 1857
139.08 Was built in the latter part of the 13th century, is 89 feet in height and of great strength, its walls being eleven feet thick. The exterior is in good preservation, having a modern slated roof, but the interior is in a ruinous state. Attached to this tower on the north side is a range of one storey slated buildings used as stables. These buildings are part of the old Mansion which was burned down in 1800. "This ancient edifice which is 89 feet high and its walls 11 feet thick, was built in the end of the 13th century, by the sovereign of Scotland. In 1365, David II gave it to Lord Erskine, in exchange for the estate of Stragartney, in Perthshire. Many of our Scottish princes received their education here. As they were, for more than two centuries, the wards of the Lords Erskine and Earls of Mar who held (over)

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 47
Town of Alloa

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Kate51- Moderator, Marg 59

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.