List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CHURCH Church Andrew Jamieson Esqr
James Moir Esqr
S. N. Morrison
133 The old church of Tullibody stands in the centre of the graveyard at the northern extremity of the village, and surrounded by a number of aged gravestones, some of which date as far back as the 16th century, The church is in a good state of preservation, is roofed with flagstones, but is dis-used as a place of worship.

“This small, but venerable edifice was built by David I King of Scotland, in the year 1149. By charter, bearing the same date, he granted as a provision for its priest, certain lands in the neighbourhood of Inches (Islands) in the Forth; and the pious monarch ordained that it should be subordinate to the rich and splendid abbey of Cambuskenneth, which two years before he had built on the very spot where his royal ancestor, Kenneth, gave the fatal blow to the Pictish dominion. For upwards of 400 years the rites of the Roman Catholic Faith were celebrated in this church. It is recorded that the church was unroofed by the French in 1559. These, under Monsieur D’ Oysel, hearing of the arrival of the English fleet, were thrown into such alarm that they thought of nothing but immiedate retreat. They proceeded accordingly towards Stirling, intending there to cross the Forth,. Kirkcaldy of Grange determined to arrest their progress, broke down the bridge of Tullibody over the Devon. Finding it impassable they unroofed the church employing the materials to cover the breach which Kirkcaldy had made. In this state the church of Tullibody remained till about the middle of last century, when it was roofed in, and in other respects improved by George Abercrombie Esqr of Tullibody. It has since been employed as a cemetery to the family. About 6 years ago, it was fitted up by subscription as a preaching station for the benefit of the village and neighbourhood.” Statistical Acct [Account]

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 10
Parish of Alloa

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Nellie- Moderator, Nora Edwards, EsmeE

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.