Essential maintenance
HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:
- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)
- Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)
- Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)
General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

OS1/3/5/26

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
OLD CHURCH [Ayr] Nil Hugh Miller
Alexander Fullarton
J. J. McDerment
033 [Situation] South east corner of Plan near the River.
The Old Church was erected about the middle of the seventeenth Century during the protectorate of Cromwell to Supply the place of the ancient Ch: [Church] of St John which he had appropriated to another purpose in the New Fort he had built at Ayr. Though it has nothing about it to vie with the grand Gothic edifices of preceding ages yet it is a fine Venerable structure placed in a fine open retired Situation behind the main street surrounded with the town's burying ground It is constructed in the form of a cross not unlike the old Church of St John the aisle in the N. W. [North West] being a projection from the main body in the middle of the east wall of which the pulpit stands fronting the projecting wing It has accommodation for about 2500
Stat Acct [Statistical Account] of Ayrs[hire]
Site of FRANCISCAN MONASTERY [Ayr] Nil Hugh Miller
Alexander Fullarton
J. J. McDerment
033 [Situation] South East corner of Plan near the River.
A Monastery of the order of St Francis or Grey Friars was also founded at Ayr by the inhabitants in the year 1472. Not the smallest notice is taken of it however in any of the records of the burgh that can be discerned except in one instance which serves at the same time to determine its situation. In a Community meeting held in 1652 to deliberate on which of two sites should be adopted for the building of a new Church that of the Grey Friars was preferred. Of the Convent and the buildings pertaining to it there is no trace now remaining excepting its well of excellent water behind the wall of the Old Church burying ground close by the river which is still called the Friars Well. -
KIRK PORT Nil Hugh Miller
Alexander Fullarton
J. J. McDerment
033 [Situation] Extends from High Street East to its termination at an arched entrance into the Grave Yard.
A Narrow thoroughfare - it is the princi[pal] entrance to the Old Parish Ch: [Church] from High S[treet]
BRANCH OF THE UNION BANK OF SCOTLAND Nil Hugh Miller
Alexander Fullarton
J. J. McDerment
033 [Situation] About 2 Chains W [West] from Old Parish Church in the High Street.
This will be when finished a very hands[ome] building and an ornament to High St[reet] it was founded in December 1854

Continued entries/extra info

[Page 26]
Sheet 7 Ayr

Transcriber's notes

Some words in Description are lost in the tight binding of right margin.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Nellie- Moderator, JCB

  Location information for this page.