Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/1/68/69

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Site of ERD HOUSES [Aiky Brae] (Site of) Pictish Village
(Site of) Pictish Village
"Pratts Buchan"
Mr. R. Porter Stuartfield
021 [Continued from page 68]
"The village then consisted of between sixty and seventy small huts, from six to twelve feet square, irregularly huddled together. The walls were built of small stones, cemented with clay; the floors were paved with stones, and a number of small yards or gardens enclosed with dykes of the same material, were to be seen around it. As late as 1821, about a dozen of the huts were still standing, but now every vestage of this prehistoric village has been obliterated by the ploughshare." Pratts Buchan" P.P. [Pages] 108. 109
"There were, not long ago, the ruins of a small Village, commonly called by the country people "Pights' or Picts' houses". It consisted of fifty or sixty mossy huts, from six to twelve feet square, irregularly huddled together, hence it got the name of the bourachs. The walls were built of stones of a small size, and clay; the floors were paved with stones. Two circular huts containing some ashes, seem to have been corn kilns." (Sculptured Stones of Scotland, Vol. [Volume] 1. P. [Page] 6.)
ABBEY BRIDGE Abbey Bridge
Abbey Bridge
Abbey Bridge
"Pratts Buchan"
Mr. R. Porter Stuartfield
Mr. Smith Merchant Stuartfield
021 Applies to a bridge which crosses the South Ugie a little to the west of the Abbey of Deer. There are two dates to be seen on this bridge (on the east face) A.D. 1713 & A.D. 1818.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 69
Aberdeenshire -- Parish of Old Deer

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, June Lobban

  Location information for this page.