List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
TOLLBOOTH (Remains of) [Fintray] Tolbooth (Remains of)
Tolbooth (Remains of)
Tolbooth (Remains of)
Mr. William Warrack, Factor, Fintray
Mr. John Cumming, Merchant Fintray
Mr. Robert Gordon Fintray
065 This building is supposed to have been erected in 1703, and was the place where the proprietors of the Barony of Easter Fintry, designed Logie Fintray, held their court meetings, the manuscript records of which, from 1712 to 1723, are still extant. Subsequently the Gardners Society of Fintray was granted permission by the then proprietor, Sir Arthur Forbes, to hold their meetings in it. After his death, Sir John Forbes, (the late proprietor) withdrew this liberty, but, wishing to have the building removed, granted them the material of the old, to erect a new house.
It was accordingly demolished and all that now remains is a small arch which supported an outside staircase leading to the upper storey. This is locally Known as the "Thief's Hole," and was entered by a strong iron door secured by a padlock and is supposed to have been used to lodge prisoners in previous to their trial.
POST OFFICE [Hatton of Fintray] Post Office
Post Office
Post Office
Mr. William Warrack
Mr. David Milne, Teacher, Fintray
Mr. John Cumming
065 This office has one arrival and one despatch dily. Not a money order office. Major office Aberdeen.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 48
Parish of Fintray

[Note relating to 'Tollbooth (Remains of)'] - Tolbuthe or Tollbooth. - A prison (Jamieson)
"Tollbooth - A Prison" (Clarke)

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, lauren

  Location information for this page.