List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
KING'S COLLEGE Kng's College
King's College
King's College
Kennedy's Annals of Aberdeen 1818
Professor Ferguson
Professor Giddes
075 Page 3 Continued
King's College King James was, in like manner, a liberal benefactor to the University, and soon after its commencement there were annexed to it, either by means of the King or by the Bishop, the Parsonages of Aberluthnot, Glenmuick, and Glengarden, and of Slains, the Churches of St Mary-ad-nives, and of Auchindore, the Vicarage of Tullinessel, the half town and lands of Dunlugas, the town and lands of Audiel, Balmakeddel, Collyin, Berryhill, Mondurno. with certain Crofts lying in the territories of the royal borough of Aberdeen, an annuity of £20 Scottish money arising from the barony of Belhelvie, nineteen merks from the Salmon fishings of Banff, £12.6.8 from the lands of Orde, Montbrae, Blairshyannocht, and Certain other lands in Boyne, an annuity of £5 arising from the lands of Udach £4 from the lands of Pettie, the lands and revenues which had formerly belonged to ancient Hospital of St Germans, in Lothian, the lands upon which the College was erected, and those surrounding it. All these grants and privileges were afterwards Confirmed by a Charter from King James V. dated at Aberdeen 7th February 1527. In the Year 1505. Bishop Elphinston, in consequence of the ample powers invested in him by those Authorities,
published the first foundation, by he erected and endowed a college of students and masters, upon a most liberal and extensive plan, and under many salutary regulations, for the government of the members of their respective departments. It was dedicated to the Name of the Virgin Mary, but afterwards distinguished that of "Royal College" or King's College of Aberdeen. King Charles I. was pleased. by a charter dated November 8th 1641 to incorporate this and Marischal College into one University to be called, in all time afterwards, "King Charles' University of Aberdeen." This union was further confirmed by an act of Oliver Cromwell, in the Year 1654 and continued to subsist till after the reformation. Doctor James Fraser of Chelsea, about the year 1725 -- contributed about £1400 sterling towards the expense of Repairing the edifice, of furnishing additional books to the library, and of Rebuilding a great part of the South side of the College, which had become ruinous. Besides this liberal donation, he founded two bursaries, one in Philosophy, and another in theology, a short time before his death. The erection of the buildings of the College Commences about the year 1500. as appears from the latin inscription upon the west and of the Chapel. It consists of a quadrangular Court, these structures Surrounding although erected at different periods, and in various orders of architecture Combine, altogether, an edifice, which is by no means inelegant

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 31 Town of Old Aberdeen

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Moira L- Moderator, ElaineF

  Location information for this page.