List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
WEST CHURCH [Aberdeen] West Church
West Church
West Church
Kennedy's Annals
Mr. A. Scatterty
Revd. [Reverend] Mr Forsyth (Minister)
075 "The old church of Saint Nicholas, remained in ruins till the year 1751, when the magistrates entered into a contract with James Wylie, mason, Archibald Chessels, and James Heriot, wrights, of Edinburgh, for erecting a new Church on the site of the old one, confurmably to a plan which had been presented gratuitously, to the Magistrates, some years previously, by Mr James Gibb, an eminent architect in London - and a native of Aberdeen. -- The undertaking was Completed in the autumn of the year 1755, and on Sunday, November 9th, the church was opened for divine Worship, Mr James Ogilvie, one of the ministers of the town, having preached the first sermon in it. The structure is one hundred feet six inches, of length, and sixty-six feet of breadth, including the side aisles. The basement of the building is of dressed granite, all the other parts, both exterior and interior, being of freestone, which was imported from Queensferry. The nave of the Church is twenty-five feet broad, and the side Aisles including the thickness of the pilasters, about eighteen. The piers of the arches are four feet, six inches by three feet. There are three galleries on each side and one in each end.

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 240 City of Aberdeen

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Moira L- Moderator, ElaineF

  Location information for this page.