end. The cellars have benches on the side walls,
and each has a narrow window looking south,
heavily splayed outside and inside. Above the
rear-lintel of the westmost window a rebated
lintel, brought from elsewhere, has been inserted.
On the first floor there have been four handsome
chambers, lit entirely from the south. The
windows are large and roughly built, and may
therefore belong to a later reconstruction.
Three of them extend to the floor, evidently to
give a view down the glen, the others being
too high to be suitable for this purpose. The
two eastern chambers are provided with garde-
robes, which have obviously been broken out
in older walling. The upper floors are frag-
The east range (Fig. 511), which is three storeys
and an attic in height, is fairly complete and is
still inhabited. While the lower part of the outer
east wall is perhaps contemporary with the
outer wall of the south range, the building
against it has been so altered that it may be
considered as wholly of the late 16th or early
17th century. Between the eastern turnpike of
the south range and the tower it presents a
handsome façade of ashlar, each storey of which
is defined with a moulded string-course, while
the windows have a projecting roll-moulding,
which is uncommon. At the north end is a
spacious staircase, referred to above as the
"new turnpike" and designed to give con-
tinuous communication between the floors of
the tower and to link these up with the floors
of the east range itself. In front of the range
and connecting the turnpikes, both of which
open into it, lies a loggia or open-sided arcade
(Fig. 510) with segmental arches resting on a
central pier. Its responds have clustered shafts,
alternately keel-shaped and with a fillet, simply
moulded capitals, and bell-shaped bases. Shafts
of this description are usually in 16th-century
ecclesiastical work and are occasionally met
with on the jambs of late 16th-century Hall
fireplaces. The loggia on the east, it will be
noted corresponds to the outside corridor on
the south. Such external corridors are not
common in Scotland, since they prevent through-
lighting, but at Falkland Palace (No. 238) there
is a similar arrangement, dating from between
1537 and 1541.
The ground floor of the east range is entered,
through the loggia, from the well of the later
turnpike. The accommodation here consists
of two intercommunicating cellars, each with a
ribbed barrel-vault, built (as the details show)
at the same time as the top vault of the tower.
Opening off each is a tiny chamber, probably
a close garderobe, projecting outwards from the
main east wall. The upper floors have been

DRAW-WELL. - At the north-western angle of
the courtyard is a draw-well, and close at hand,
in the wall of enclosure, is a water inlet.

HISTORICAL NOTE. - Castle Campbell, with
the kirklands of Dollar, was originally held by
the Earl of Argyll in feu-farm from the Bishopric
of Dunkeld. ¹ Before 1490 the castle was called
"the Gloume," but in that year Colin, first
Earl of Argyll, secured an Act of Parliament
changing the name to Castle Campbell. ² In
1645 the Marquis of Montrose, on his way from
Fife to Stirling, burnt "the land of Castell
Gloum, otherways called Castell Campbell." ³
Bishop Guthry records the burning of the parish
of "Dollor" on this occasion by "Maclean and
his people" in the service of Montrose, the
parish "belonging to the marquis of Argyle." ⁴
It is usually said that at this time Castle
Campbell was burnt, but in neither of these
contemporary sources is there a statement to
that effect.

1 Rentale Dunkeldense (S.H.S.), pp. 51-9,
341, &c. 2 Acts Parl. Scot., ii, p. 222.
3 Britane's Distemper, by Patrick Gordon, pp.
137-8. 4 The Memoirs of Henry Guthry, &c.,
2nd ed. 1747, p. 191. Mark Napier in his Life
of Montrose, p. 350, affirms the burning of the
Castle, but his only reference is to Guthry.

cxxxiv N.E. 13 June 1928.



616. Graveyard, Tillicoultry House. - In a
small graveyard immediately behind Tilli-
coultry House there are a few interesting tomb-
(1) A grave-slab, measuring 5 feet 11 inches
in length by 2 feet 2 inches broad and 6 inches
in thickness, bears the inscription : HERE LYES

[Page] 325

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, Murray

  Location information for this page.