bones, mixed with ashes and pieces of charcoal.
The urns, when broken, appear to have been
made of very coarse materials. The outside is
pretty well glazed, and ornamented with dotted
For other cases of 'glazed' urns in burials
see Inventory, Midlothian and West Lothian,
No. 200, and Wilson's Prehistoric Annals of
Scotland, ii, pp. 119-21.

xxv S.E. 2 August 1927.


552. "Lecture Stane." - This stone is said to
have stood on the margin of the public road
about a quarter of a mile east from the church,
in a stone dike opposite Nivingstone House,
but it cannot now be identified. It was used,
it seems, before the Reformation at funerals,
as a support for the coffin at the time that the
burial service was read. Cf. New Stat. Acct., ix,
Kinross-shire, p. 41. See Introd., p. xxxi.

xxvi S.W. 2 August 1927.

553. Urn Burial, Easter Gellybank. - On 10th
November 1885, a large cinerary urn was
turned up by the plough on the farm of Easter
Gellybank, a little more than a mile to the
south of the town of Kinross. The urn, which
is now preserved in the National Museum of
Antiquities, measures 16 1/4 inches in height by
12 3/8 inches in diameter. The discovery has been
fully described in Proc. Soc. Ant. Scot., xx
(1885-6), pp. 142-5.

xxvi N.W. (unnoted).



554. Tullibole Church. - This church is repre-
sented merely by foundations on the northern
side of a derelict graveyard. The oldest tomb-
stone above ground is that of James Liuiston,
who died in 1660, but there are several memorials
of the second quarter of the 18th century.

xxv N.E. 14 May 1929.


555. Tullibole Castle. - This castle (Fig. 463)
stands within its policies a mile to the east of
the Crook of Devon. It is a good example of a

[Plans inserted]
Fig. 462. - Tullibole Castle (No. 555).

laird's house of the early 17th century, built on
the ' palace ' plan. It has been modernised
internally, for it is still occupied, and a wing has
lately been added on the northern side. The
lay-out is interesting, and the system of com-
munication has been carefully considered. The
original house consisted of an oblong main
block lying east and west, the eastern part

[Page] 291

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, mikeh

  Location information for this page.