We will be making some essential changes to our website hosting which will affect our websites from Friday 6 – Monday 9 December. During this time, this website will not be available. We thank you for your patience while we work to improve the stability of our websites. For further updates, check our Twitter @HistEnvScot. We apologise for any inconvenience.

fife-kinross-clackmannan-1933/03-314

Transcription

KILRENNY.] INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS IN FIFE. [KILRENNY.

only be indistinctly traced at intervals by
remains of similar wall foundations and the
configuration of the internal dip. An excava-
tion of the first of the three has been attempted.
This investigation, it is believed, was carried out
by the late Dr. Laing of Newburgh, but it is
understood that the results were negative. No
clear traces of entrance gaps are discernible
in any of the enclosures, which vary from an
oval to a circular form with an average diameter
of 40 feet.

iii S.E. 26 May 1925.

325. Cup-Marked Boulder, Lochmaloney. -
This stone is hidden in a heavy growth of whin
bushes in a covert lying at an elevation of 400
feet above sea-level, about three quarters of a
mile to the north-east of Lochmaloney House.
It is a somewhat hog-backed boulder, measuring
roughly 7 1/4 feet by 4 feet 11 inches by 3 feet high,
and the upper surface shows a scattered group
of cup-marks, which vary from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches
in diameter and 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in depth. The
stone lies with its main axis north-west and
south-east.

vii N.E. (unnoted). 26 April 1925.

SITE.

326. Tumulus near Mountquhanie House. - No
tumulus is visible at the point marked on the
O.S. map about 600 yards to the south-west of
Mountquhanie House, between the 200 and 250
feet contours, but a heap of stones, collected
from the fields and used as a base for a hay-
stack, is lying quite close to the position noted,
and may have been mistaken for something
more ancient, There is now no knowledge in
the neighbourhood of a tumulus ever having
existed on the site.

vii N.E. 26 May 1925.

KILRENNY.

ECCLESIASTICAL BUILDING.

327. Tower, Parish Church. - The parish
church, an oblong building dating from 1808,
abuts at its north-west angle on a bell-tower,
the only remnant of the former church, which
extended farther west than the present structure.
The tower has always been a north-west tower,
like that of St. Michael's Church, Cupar, which
was erected in 1415, and the two probably
belong to about the same time.
It is built of coursed rubble and measures
externally 19 3/4 by 14 1/2 feet. While the north
window at ground-floor level is an insertion, the
lancet doublets in each wall of the bell chamber
are original. The parapet, borne on separate
moulded corbels of two members, dates from the
16th century, and the slated spire is probably,
but not certainly, contemporary. The tower
has opened on to the nave by an archway which,
though built up, can still be traced, and on to
the north aisle by a second archway, apparently
later and also filled in. The capitals of these
archways are boldly moulded. The lower storey
has at one time been vaulted. A turnpike,
ascending to the parapet, has been inserted in
the north-west angle. The roof-raggle on the
outer face of the south wall does not appear to
be original.

SEPULCHRAL MONUMENTS. - The Beaton
burial-enclosure at the east end of the church
dates from the later 17th century. The front,
which faces east, is enriched with Ionic shafts
at the ends and on either side of the entrance.
In the back wall is placed an armorial panel,
now very weather-worn, enclosed by a bolection-
moulded surround. The helm has for crest an
otter's head erased. The supporters are otters.
The shield bears : Quarterly, 1st and 4th, a
fess between three lozenges ; 2nd and 3rd, on a
chevron an otter's head erased. A label below
the shield bears the motto, DE[B]ONN[AIRE]. A
cartouche beneath bears initials, two of which
may be read as M.B., while the others are
totally illegible.
At the vestry door lies a tombstone, measuring
5 feet 6 inches by 2 feet 4 inches, which is dated
1592, and bears on a shield-shaped panel the
initials T.S. and A.S. Near the forestair on the
north of the church is the table-stone of Robert
Ford who died in 1672. It measures 6 feet 2
inches by 3 feet 3 inches, and has on the upper
part representations of a ship, an astrolabe, and
a quarterstaff.
NOTE. - The church tower was used as a
landmark by fishermen, who called it "St.
Irnie." ¹ It has been suggested that the name is

[Page] 167

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, Murray

  Location information for this page.