313. Kilconquhar House.--The southern
corner of Kilconquhar House is a late 16th-
century building, but it is so hemmed in by
modern extensions that only on the west is there
a clear view of the older part from ground to
roof, The upper portion of it near the re-entrant
angle is, however, visible above the modern
buildings in a stable court. The old house
has been entirely modernised internally and it
has also been considerably altered externally,
It has five storeys. The plan is L-shaped, the
main block running north-west and south-east,
while the wing extends north-east in alignment
with the southern wall, thus leaving the re-
entrant angle open to the north. On the south
is a stair-tower of the 18th century, which must
occupy very much the same site as the original
staircase, since the original turret-stair, which
is corbelled out in the south-east re-rentrant
abgle, gives access from the fourth floor to its
roof. Towards the wall-head the three angles
of the main block expand into squat turrets
containing 'studies,' while the eastern angles
of the wing are similarly provided with smaller
turrets. The older masonry is of rubble but
that of the turrets is ashlar, and except in the
turrets the windows have all been renewed.
The upper storey of the wing is set forward on a
string-course which is in alignment with the
upper member of the wing turrets. The
chimney-stalks, the cornice, and the balustrade
of the stair towers are modern.

DOVECOT.--About 300 yards north-north-
west of the house is an oblong dovecot of the
late 17th century, which measures externally
14½ by 23½ feet. The walls are of harled rubble
with exposed rusticated quoins. The entrance
faces south ; above the string-course, which is
stepped, both flanks have exits for the birds.

HISTORICAL NOTE,--At the date of the
original building the lands of Kilconquhar
belonged to Sir John Bellenden or Ballenden,
Lord Justice-Clerk in 1547, who also acquired
the baronies of Broughton and Woodhouselee
in Midlothian. He left Kilconquhar to the
eldest son of his third marriage, who was
succeeded by his uncle Adam Bellenden,
bishop of Dunblane. On the suppression of the
bishops in 1640 Adam Bellenden sold the lands
to Sir John Carstairs.¹
¹ Staggering State of the Scots Statesmen, by


Sir John Scot of Scotstarvit. Cf. Inventory of
Monuments in Midlothian, No. 101.

xxii S.W. 18 August 1927


314. Niche, East Newton Lodge.--An aumbry,
reputed to have been removed from Rires
Chapel (No. 317), is built into the entrance hall
of East Newton Lodge, which lies ¾ of a mile
north-west of Colinsburgh. The recess is 1 foot
10 inches broad, i foor 8 inches deep, and 2 feet
3 inches in height. A bold quick edge-roll is
wrought on jambs and head, the latter of which
springs above the lintel into an ogival shape.
The date os probably the late 16th or early 17th
xxi S.E. 18 August 1927.


315. Cist-Burials, Balcarres.--In 1870, when
the south lodge of Balcarres was being built, a
number of burials in long cists were discovered.
In 1907 several short-cist burials were exposed
on the "Craigs," a rocky eminence less than a
quarter of a mile east of Balcarres House, at a
part now known as "Coffin Walk."
xxii S.W. (unnoted).

The records sites as under :--

316. Rires Castle

317. Chapel.

318 Bicker Tree.

xxi S.E.



319. Mountquhanie Castle.--Mountquhanie
Castle is an ivy-clad ruin standing beside the
home farm, 4½ miles north-north-west of Cupar.
It has been an oblong tower of the 16th century,*
*Macgibbon and Ross in Castellated and Domestic
Architecture, vol. iv, p. 269, record a Balfour armorial
stone, dated 1597, built upside down into an out-
building. This is not now visible and may be concealed
by the ivy.

[page] 165

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Murray, CorrieBuidhe- Moderator

  Location information for this page.