Slightly later than St. Mary's follow the three 15th century collegiate
churches of Seton (No. 191), Bothans (No. 250) and Dunglass (No. 124), all
of which were laid out on a cruciform plan unaisled ; but Seton and Bothans
are without naves. Barrel vaulting is employed in all divisions, but at Seton
the eastern termination is groined and ribbed. Seton and Dunglass have
towers above the crossing. The parish church of Whitekirk (No. 200), also
cruciform on plan, and the tower of Aberlady Parish Church (No. 2) are of the
same century, which date too may be assigned to the fragment of St. John's
(No. 9) at Drem.
Post-Reformation work is represented by the Parish Church of Stenton
(No. 180), portions of Pencaitland, the eastern burial aisle of Oldhamstocks,
the porch of St. Andrews Church, North Berwick (No. 103), and the parish
[Marginal note] Dirleton
churches of North Berwick (No. 102) and Gladsmuir (No. 64).
MONASTIC HOUSES. - The Cistercian nunneries are represented only by the
fragment of a residentiary range at North Berwick (No. 104) ; the great house
at Haddington has totally disappeared.
Of the establishments of Friars remains are but scanty. That of the
Carmelites or White Friars at Luffness has been reduced to little more than
the foundations of the church, with some details, and of parts of the ad-
joining buildings, not sufficient to determine the general plan. Of the Trini-
tarians or Red Friars of Dunbar (No. 42) survives only the central oblong
tower of the church, a well-known feature of some friar churches, which has
been adapted as a dovecot.
BELLS. - The one pre-Reformation bell remaining in East Lothian hangs
in the parish church of Yester (No. 249) ; it is dated 1492 and was probably
cast in an Edinburgh foundry. Other bells cast in Edinburgh are at Keith
Marischal (No. 82) and at North Berwick (No. 117) ; the first by George
Hog in 1620, the latter by James Monteith in 1642. Also of native manu-
facture is the bell at Pencaitland, dated 1638. Seton church contains a
Dutch bell cast by Adriæn Steylært in 1577, and at Bolton church there is
another (No. 23) made by Michael Burgherhuys in 1618, while the bell of
Morham church (No. 98), dated 1681, is probably also of Dutch origin.
COMMUNION CUPS. - No chalices of pre-Reformation date survive in the
county, though there had been the usual full equipment of such vessels
(cf. No. 68). Communion cups of seventeenth century date, most of them towards
the end of the century, are at Haddington (1645, the earliest), Aberlady,
Athelstaneford, (the latest, 1698), Dunbar (four 1657), Prestonkirk (four),
Prestonpans (inscribed " Saltprestown "), Whittinghame ; while at Stenton are two
of London origin dated 1703-4. They are generally of the contemporary type,
an elongated bowl upon a baluster stem with spreading base ; one at North
Berwick, however, has a flatter and wider bowl of the " maser " class.
The vessels have been bought or presented, and several have the Edinburgh
hall-mark. The cup at North Berwick referred to above is inscribed as
gifted by " Mrs. Barbara Young relict of Archbald (sic) Douglas somtime
Captain of Tomtallan 1670," but on the base is the Edinburgh hall-mark
between two G's for George Crawford, who was deacon of the Incorporation
of the Goldsmiths at several times between 1615 and 1635. The later date
on the bowl refers to work done on the vessels about that time. ¹

1 Cf. Old Scottish Communion Plate, Rev. Thomas Burns.

-- xlvi

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, Douglas Montgomery

  Location information for this page.