System Outage

We are migrating the servers that support this website to a new platform. Service will be affected for some time. Further information is available here.

OS1/34/40/8

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CUSTOMS HOUSE Customhouse
Customhouse
Customs House and P.H. [Public House] Town Customs Collected Here
Customs House and P.H. [Public House] Town Customs Collected Here
Customs House and P.H. [Public House] Town Customs Collected Here
Customs House and P.H. [Public House] Town Customs Collected Here
Mr Brockley Tinsmith Linlithgow
William Wight Collector Customhouse
Mr Waldie Linlithgow
Mr Brockly Linlithgow
Mr Henderson Linlithgow
Mr Sanders Linlithgow
003 [Situation] At the E. [East] end of the West Port & W. [West] end of High Street

A small house one story high, and in good repair. William Wight is the present tenant; he pays a rent of £316 a year. It is let by public roup every three years; and is the property of the town. Customs are levied from chapmen, horses, carts, etc. that pass in or out of the Royal Burgh of Linlithgow: the burgesses, alone excepted. (The ancient Royalty) "The customs were granted to the Burgh by Robert II by a Charter dated 23rd October 1389: and this right was extended, and the formal grant confirmed by a Charter of James II dated 11th January 1451. And these Charters were frequently confirmed, at later times, by the Scotch Kings, and by Acts of the Scots Parliament". This Custom is called the Town Custom. This house is licenced to Spiritous liquors as a public House

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 8
Parish of Linlithgow -- Sheet 3 -- Trace 1

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Moira L- Moderator, louisetherapist

  Location information for this page.