West Lothian volume 38

Page List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks Continued entries/extra info Transcriber's notes
OS1/34/38/1 [Page] 1 PARISH OF LINLITHGOW SHEET 1 INDEX Names of Objects -- Pages Linlithgow Ph [Parish] -- 3 Bow Butts -- 9 Burial Vaults (Earls of Linlithgow) --35 Cross Well on the Site of Market Cross --27 County Hall -- 39 Cunzie Neuk -- 49 Flesh Market Close --45 Grammar School -- 44 Gas Works -- 48 High Street -- 45 Jock's Hill -- 5 Kirkgate -- 46 Linlithgow Loch -- 7 Old Flesh Market -- 46 Site of Cunzie House or Mint -- 25 Solemn League & Covenant Publicly Burnt here (1662) -- 27 Site of Palace Garden -- 9 St. Michael's Church -- 39 St. Catherine's Aisle -- 29 The Rickle -- 8 The Peel -- 9 The Shogbog -- 10 The Giant's Grave -- 10 The Palace (Ruins of) --13 Tyler's Tower -- 23 Town House -- 37 The Vennel -- 45 Vennel Green -- 47 Watergate -- 47
OS1/34/38/2 [Page] 2 Blank page
OS1/34/38/3 LINLITHGOW Linlithgow Ph [Parish] See Name Sheet 5 No.2 Decimal Scale
OS1/34/38/3 [Page] 3
OS1/34/38/4 [page] 4 Blank Page
OS1/34/38/5 JOCK'S HILL Jock's Hill Jock's Hill Jock's Hill William Glen Town Clerk J. Hardy Esqr Provost Mr Henderson W.S. [Writer to the Signet] 001 [Situation] N.W. [North West] of the Town of Linlithgow and & on the side if tghe |Borrowstounness Road A Small hill N.W [North West] of the town and rising above the Avenue leading from the Borrowstounness Road to Longcroft House and Loch Paper Mill, it is very precipitous On the North, East & West but smoth On the Surface except the E. [East] side On Which there is an Old Sand Pit. The South is a gradual slope, and there are a number of scattered trees On it. The Origin of this name is not Known.
OS1/34/38/5 [Page] 5 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1, Trace 3
OS1/34/38/6 [Page 6] Blank page
OS1/34/38/7 LINLITHGOW LOCH Linlithgow Loch Linlithgow Loch J Hardy Esqr. Mr. Henderson Mr. R. Glen [Situation] On North side of the Town of Linlithgow This beautiful Sheet of Water lies in a valley On the N.[North] side of the town, at the base of a Cultivated & well wooded range of hills, -indeed the town and laKe Are almost Completely enclosed by hills. -It is nearly a Mile long and stretches along the whole length of the town and a quarter of a Mile at its greatest breadth, it is chiefly Supplied by Springs arising from its bed, As there is only One Stream falls into it from the W.[West]. From the N. &W.[North & West] Sides of the lake the view is very fine, the gardens & orchards Stretching down to the waters edge, the town itself, lies half
OS1/34/38/7 [Page] 7 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1, Trace 4
OS1/34/38/7 Continued on page 8
OS1/34/38/8 LINLITHGOW LOCH Continued 006 hid with trees, the rugged & Conspicuous hills, Cocleroi & Bowden Hill, this latter clothed with wood, rising at some distance S. [South] of the town, the splendid but Sombre Ruins of the Palace, the fine Old Gothic pile St Michael's Church, and a number of Swans gliding Gracefully along its Surface, all Combine to form a Rich & pleasing landscape view - In the E [East] end of the laKe, Are several islands, One is Called the Willow Trees, of Which a a few feet of the trunk Remains - tradition States, that in early times a greyhound was found fastened by a Cord to a tree On this island, which Originated in the Arms of the town - A Greyhound fastened to a tree, with the Motto "My fruit is fidelity to God & the King" All the islands Are covered with Willows - The laKe abounds with pike, Eels, perch, roach and a Small fish Called brase.
OS1/34/38/8 THE RICKLE The Rickle The Rickle The Rickle Mr. R. Glen, Mr. Henderson Mr. J Hardy Esqr. 001 This is a Small island in the loch opposite the Palace And formed bya Heap of Stones Covered with a slight layer [of] Soil & planted with Willow tr[ees]
OS1/34/38/8 [Page] 8 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 2
OS1/34/38/9 THE PEEL The Peel The Peel The Peel Mr Glen Town Clerk J. Hardy Esq Provost Mr Henderson [Situation] S. [South] side of Linlithgow Loch & Surrounding "The Palace" This name Applies to the grounds Around the Palace, And is very uneven On the South & West, the ground rising Considerably to where the palace stands, it was totally devoid of ornament until a Short time ago the Commissioners of Woods & forests Commenced their improvements by banking in the edge of the loch, enclosing & planting portions and laying out Walks, fixing Seats etc. - On the N.E [North East] end is a Considerable flat space Known as the Palace Garden & in front of the Palace On the edge of the loch in a long narrow Strip of Sward, with two Slight elevations at the E [East] & West ends; this is Called the "Bon Butts", and here they used to practice Archery in ancient times.
OS1/34/38/9 PALACE GARDEN Palace Garden Palace Garden Mr Glen Town Clerk J. Hardy Esq [Situation] S. [South] side of Linlithgow Loch & Surrounding "The Palace" This name Applies to the grounds Around the Palace, And is very uneven On the South & West, the ground rising Considerably to where the palace stands, it was totally devoid of ornament until a Short time ago the Commissioners of Woods & forests Commenced their improvements by banking in the edge of the loch, enclosing & planting portions and laying out Walks, fixing Seats etc. - On the N.E [North East] end is a Considerable flat space Known as the Palace Garden & in front of the Palace On the edge of the loch in a long narrow Strip of Sward, with two Slight elevations at the E [East] & West ends; this is Called the "Bon Butts", and here they used to practice Archery in ancient times.
OS1/34/38/9 BOW BUTTS Bow Butts Bow Butts Bow Butts Mr Glen Town Clerk Linlithgow J. Hardy Provost Linlithgow W. Henderson [Situation] S. [South] side of Linlithgow Loch & Surrounding "The Palace" This name Applies to the grounds Around the Palace, And is very uneven On the South & West, the ground rising Considerably to where the palace stands, it was totally devoid of ornament until a Short time ago the Commissioners of Woods & forests Commenced their improvements by banking in the edge of the loch, enclosing & planting portions and laying out Walks, fixing Seats etc. - On the N.E [North East] end is a Considerable flat space Known as the Palace Garden & in front of the Palace On the edge of the loch in a long narrow Strip of Sward, with two Slight elevations at the E [East] & West ends; this is Called the "Bon Butts", and here they used to practice Archery in ancient times.
OS1/34/38/9 [Page] 9 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4
OS1/34/38/10 THE SHOGBOG The Shogbog The Shogbog The Shogbog Mr Glen J. Hardy Esq Mr Henderson 001 [Situation] N.E. [North East] of "The Palace" & forming part of Linlithgow Loch This was a Small portion of the loch N.E. [North East] of the Palace, and forming a small recess which was used as a landing place, & when the Water was low there remained a shaKing quagmire from which the name Arose - this has been Cleared away & a Very Neat harbour with sloping banks Made in its place -
OS1/34/38/10 THE GIANT'S GRAVE The Giants Grave The Giants Grave The Giants Grave Mr Glen Mr Henderson J. Hardy Esq. [Situation] Close to "The Palace" On the East Side This is a huge grave liKe Ridge on the East Side of the Palace And supposed to have formed part of the OutworKs for the defense of the East Side, it is very [steep] on the E. W [East, West] & N, [North] terminating at the S. [South] end with a few feet of an elevation - Its likeness to the fo[rm] of a grave gave rise to the Name which is well Known -
OS1/34/38/10 [Page] 10 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4 Shog-bog. A deep mossy puddle often that through which a Spring taKes its Course Covered with a Coating of Closely matted grass sufficiently Strong to Carry a light person who by giving a Shog produces a Continual undulating motion. - Scottish Dicty. [Dictionary]
OS1/34/38/11 [page] 11 Blank Page
OS1/34/38/12 [Page] 12 " The royal Palace Stands on a little hill plain on the top which advanceth almost into the middle of the lake and looks liKe an amphitheatre having a descent on the three Sides and liKe tarrace WalKs upon the west side. the Palace is magnificently built of fine polished stone it was begun by the former Kings and King James V added to it the chapel and the porch King James VI Compleated the court by adding to it the fine new buildings toward the north. The Palace consists of four towers between which the Court and the Chapel and the rest of the buildings are extended in the inner Court there is a fountain well adorned with Several Statues and Waterworks Curiously wrought which when they go raise the water to a Considerable hight." Sibbald's Hist. [History] of Co. [County] Linlithgow
OS1/34/38/13 THE PALACE (Ruins of) Palace (In Ruins) Palace (In Ruins) Palace (In Ruins) J. Hardy Esqure Provost Mr R Glen Town Clerk Mr Henderson W.S. {Writer to the Signet] 001 [Situation] On the N. [North] Side of the Town of Linlithgow. Standing between St Michael's Church and Linlithgow Loch The ruins of this Ancient Palace, Supposed to occupy the Site of a Roman Station, Stands on the summit of elevated ground and Rising Considerably above the loch On the N. [North] side of the town, this platform-liKe elevation dips abruptly on the N 7 W [North & West]. On the latter Side the ground is level for Some distance and then falls away to the edge of the locK in a Series of steep stopes; On the N. [North] Side the fall of the ground is More Regular, it first begins with a steep slope and then gently falls away to the loch into which in projects for some distance with a wedge-like point - the E. [East] side is very Rough & uneven Owing to small Ridges Rising abruptly from the Surface and Supposed to be the remains of earth
OS1/34/38/13 [Page] 13 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1, Trace 4
OS1/34/38/14 PALACE Continued 001 for protecting this side which was most exposed to assault, the south side on which is now the principal entrance is quite smooth and level and the same elevation as the interior court The outside of the Palace presents a gloomy and prison like appearance, the windows being very few for a building of such extent and height, particularly on the West and East fronts the majority of openings are little more than slits or loopholes The East, West, and South walls, though erected at different periods harmonise in character and terminate with embattled parapets resting on a double row of corbels The North front which looks towards the loch is a more modern erection and was built by James VI; it is five storeys high with corresponding rows of square stone framed windows, this front commands a view of the whole lake an, in particular from an oriel window, a half hexagon, that lighted an interior arched recess adjoining the Kings bed room and said to have been the Royal robing room and confessional The original approach to the palace was by an Avenue leading to its Eastern front and is still marked by a few fine Sycamore and Ash trees In this side, high up in the wall was a splendid gateway, defended by an outwork of masonry, parallel to the main wall and strengthened at intervals by circular towers Only a portion of this outwork with the remains of three towers now remain, they formed a dry moat between the termination of the approach and the building communication having been effected by means of a drawbridge' the iron sockets still remain in the wall at the lower angles of the gateway This gateway is the only remarkable and relieving feature in the East front, above it are two grooves in which the apparatus for working the drawbridge was placed between the grooves is a raised pannel
OS1/34/38/14 [page] 14 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 Feet Sheet 1, Trace 4
OS1/34/38/15 PALACE Continued 001 cut with a crown and three figures, and beneath are three shields, the Centre one bearing a griffin rampant, the Other two being plain and the ground of the pannelhe pannel being sculptured with the fleur de lis; this entrance was closed up by James V, when he opened the present entrance On the South. The present approach is from the S. [South] by a narrow lane leading up from the Cross and terminates, at St Michael's Church, a fortified gateway leading into the grounds where formerly was an Outer Court, This Gateway is a low structure of polished Sandstone and is flanked at the S.E. [South East] and S.W. [South West] Angles by Octagonal towers, with recesses, loopholes the outside walls terminate with a parapet resting on a Rope Moulding, above the gateway is a space divided into four by Moulded Mullions and in which are beautifully Sculptured in Relief the Orders of the Garter, St Andrew, St. Michael & the Golden Fleece. This gate leads to the S. [South] side of the palace in which is now the principal entrance by a porch or gateway flanked with cCrcular towers and pierced, like the other with loopholes - the interior of this gateway is arched and braced with strong stone ribs, moulded, and spring from Corbels and tied at the Apex with a Knot on which is Cut a lion rampant and Crown, this Arch leads into the inner Court or quadrangle which presents a more pleasing and very different appearance from the exterior. The Palace seems to have been principally lighted from this Court as the windows are numerous and different in style. The East side is rather sombre, having
OS1/34/38/15 [page] 15
OS1/34/38/16 PALACE Continued 001 Only One Row of Arched Windows lighting the Parliament Hall and Crossing What is Called "The Ladies Gallery", This gallery or passage, Arched at intervals by the Windows Crossing it was the Convenience of spectators looking into the Hall below -under the passage, again, is another in the thicKness of the Wall and receiving light from the Court by a row of Narrow openings, leading to where the portcullis was fixed for working the drawbridge In this side of the Quadrangle is the inner gateway of the Original entrance Over which is a richly Carved label moulding, above this moulding are three nitches, the Centre and largest One resting on the apex of the gateway a hansomely Carved support -this nitche contained the Statue of Pope Julius 2, the others Contained the figures of two Cardinals The Carving of these nitches is very fine, the brackets or supports being Cut with figures and foliage, at the sides are slender buttresses with crocheted pinnacles and the Canopy of each nitche is beautifully Carved in tabernacle work and Crowned with minature Castles Over each nitche is a winged figure with Scroll, high up, the whole is embraced by a bold projecting hood Moulding, enriched with gothic Cusps and terminating with heads of Various Animals N. [North] of the inner gateway was Another gate, now built up. and which appears from the remains to have also been Ornamented - This was at one time the principal entrance to the Parliament Hall. The South front of the Court in which the inner gateway and present entrance is, and over which is a bracket and Canopy with the remains of a statue, there are three more brackets higher up, in Centre One is a vase of flowers and in Another is a female figure with hands Crossed on the breast the third is empty
OS1/34/38/16 [page] 16
OS1/34/38/17 PALACE Continued 001 Windows of this side are in the Old English style -they are moulded on the lintels, which are straight And formed with radiated Arch Stones and divided into three and four lights by handsomely Carved Stone Mullions with a semicirce under the lintel and having Cusps in each; the windows in the lower floor are in the same Character, but plainer The N. [North] side of this Court, built by James 6, is different from any of the Others, it is five storeys high with an Octagonal tower in which is a Circular staircase, in the Centremost of the windows in this Side are Crowned with angular pidiments, having the rose, thistle, or fleur de lis on the Apex, And in the tympanums Are the initials of James 6 thus, J.R.6. in nearly all the windows, with Crown, Sceptre, lion, the initials of Charles 1. Prince of Wales feathers and Irish Harp - the tympanums of the upper windows are filled with Angels, over one of the windows on the E. [East] side of the above tower is the date 1619 and over the upper window of the tower is the date 1620, the Only dates that Can be discovered about the building This side contained the private apartments and dining hall which were floored with wood and was Completely destroyed by fire in 1746 occasioned it is said by Hawley's dragoons who had taken up their Quarters in it - the Other sides of the building escaped this fate, as the first or principal floors Are strongly Arched with stone And the upper Surface paved with flags The W. [West] front of the Court is quite plain, having only eight Windows, four Arched & four Square, over the largest of the latter is a Semicircular moulding in which are the initials J R 6. inside an Ornamented Scroll & Surmounted by a Crown
OS1/34/38/17 [page] 17
OS1/34/38/18 PALACE Continued 001 There is a tower at each angle of theQuadrangle Containing Circular staircases leading up to the different apartments described below; these stairs are lighted by long narrow Openings in the towers - each stair also leads to the roofs which together with the tops of the Massive walls formed Convenient promenades and apartures of the town, lake, & Surrounding Country From the top of the N.W. [North West] tower rises a smaller one, octagonal in form about Seven feet Wide & seated round with stone benches it is ascended to from the top of the lower tower by a flight of Stone Steps guarded by iron railings This is Called "Queen Margaret's Bower, and is said to have been the favorite resort of the Consort of James 4; it is about 80 feet above the level of the Court. The first floors are pointed out by the person in charge of the Palace as being the Most interesting; In the E. [East] side is the Parliament Hall a long and lofty Apartment extending from tower to tower And lighted by twelve Arched windows, Six from the Outside and Six from the Court, the Walls are Massive, being at least 8½ feet thicK, in the W. [West] wall high up is the ladies Gallery for spectators, this passage Connects the stairs each end At the S. [South] end of the Hall is an elegant stone Mantel piece, divided into three spaces by four light clustered pillars, with moulded bases and foliated Capitals Between the windows of this fine Hall are Cut brackets projecting from the Walls supposed to have held statues, or perhaps banners but that is only Conjecture Parliaments were held in this Hall In the S. [South] side is the Chapel, lighted from the S. [South] by five tall, narrow lancetted windows, having Moulded jambs and Circular Arched heads outside the Altar stood at the E. [East] end indicated by projections in the Wall and behind Which was a passage the Robing Room, on the north Side are a few steps leading down to the Crypt, a small dark closet, which the plate belonging to the Altar was kept - an anterom joins & Communicates with the Hall
OS1/34/38/18 [page] 18
OS1/34/38/19 PALACE Continued 001 West of the chapel is a large waiting hall and in the South West angle is a small room called the Confessional, along the inside front of this side runs a corridor from and connecting the Stairs at each end, and also divided at intervals by walls with a door in each __ The above angle con_ taining the Confessional is supposed to occupy the site of the original Peel or Castle ___ In the ? side is pointed out the room in which Mary, Queen of Scots was born December 7th 1542 _ It is [a] large flagged apartment with a large roughly built fireplace, and without ornament of any kind _ a door leads into an anteroom on the North which communicates the Kings bed chamber, a small apartment looking to the North and West in the South West angle of this room is shewn by the Conductor a few steps in the floor which leads to a private recess in which it is said James III concealed himself when his nobles broke into rebellion. ___ The walls of [t]his palace are of great thickness, particularly the East and South front walls which vary in thickness from 9 to 12 feet and abound with secret stairs, closets, recesses etc. in the thickness of the walls ___ In the centre of the quadrangle stand the ruins of what was once a splendid fountain, it is in the form of an octagon with small clustered pillars at the angles, and rises terrace like _ the spaces between the pillars are filled with panels and cut with the [?a]quatic foil ornament, on the pedestals are cut human heads, rose, thistle and other devices, it was also adorned with figures of the lion and Unicorn, and the whole was surmounted by an imperial crown, on a medallion was cut the initial of James V by whom the fountain was erected, but it is now Scarcely traceable _ This fountain on great occasions was made to run wine ___
OS1/34/38/19 [page] 19
OS1/34/38/20 PALACE Continued 001 The underground and basement Storey of the Palace Contained the domestic's Apartments, Kitchens, Stables, Guard Rooms, Prisons, Vaulted halls and in the N.W. [North West] Angle was a chapel, all lighted by named loopholes by narrow loopholes ___
OS1/34/38/20 [page] 20 "The palace is the most interesting relic of former days in the parish. It is supposed that the site now occupied by the magnificent ruins of this abode of ancient royalty was the site of a Roman Station. Som have imagined that Linlithgow is the Roman Lindum. Be this as it may it was very early selected by the Scottish princes as one of their residences It is supposed that there was a royal mansion at Linlithgow as early as the reign of David I who occasionally resorted here to enjoy the pleasures of the chase and to consume the local revenues, "payable in oxen, Sheep, grain, and other descriptions of produce." The present structure is of much more recent date. In 1424 the Palace was consumed by fire and the oldest portion of the existing edifice is referred by competent authorities to the time of the first James It received considerable additions during the reigns of James 4. and his successor and the most modern part of it was built by James 6. on his visit to Scotland in 1617. It was the frequent residence of many of these princes and was repeatedly with its lake and park assigned as a jointure house for the Queens of Scotland:- particularly we mentiore Mary of Guise who when
OS1/34/38/21 [Page] 21 She saw it declared that she never saw a more princely palace. The sincerity of the compliment was shown by her frequent residence. Nor need we wonder at the partiality our monarchs for Linlithgow, as a more delightful situation cannot be imagined. Situated upon an eminence projecting into the middle of the lake which it divides into two nearly equal parts the Palace commands several views of very pleasing scenery and when the park was decorated with wood of which some fine old trees still survive the royal domain must fully have justified the eulogy of Sir Walter Scott. To enter minute details of a building so well known would be superfluous. It may suffice to state that as it now stands the Palace is of a quadrangular form having an open court within on the north side five storeys in height with a tower in each corner. It measures 175 feet from north to south and 165 feet from east to west. The appearance of the inner court id particularly imposing. Much attention has been paid to the architectural decoration of its various fronts which exhibit some very pleasing effects. The centre is occupied by the remains of what has been a magnificent fountain built of white firestone of superior workmanship the carvings being well cut and highly relieved. The main entrance was formerly from the east which is highly. That however was closed and the present one opened by James 5. The same monarch built the fortified gateway which leads into the outercourt. This gateway is said to have been the model of the one at Abbotsford. The stranger after contemplating the tame and ungainly aspect of the exterior of the palace is much impressed with the interior which with its remains of ancient grandeur its ruined fountain and grass-grown courtyard produces feelings of pleasing solemnity in the mind. The principal portions of the buildings which are shown to visitors are the eoom where Mary was born one of ample dimensions the dining long and narrow the
OS1/34/38/22 [Page] 22 chapel and the Parliament Hall a noble apartment measuring 98 1/2 feet in length 30 feet in width and to the summit of the walls which still stands 35 feet. The building abounds with places of concealment and out of the ways. one of these is still shown as the place where James 3 hid himself during a rebellion of his nobles. This noble structure might have been entire to the present day had it not been burned it is not easy to say whether by accident or intention in the year 1746 by the English dragoons under Hawley who were quartered in the dining room. There is a well known story of the lady Mrs Glen Gordon who acted as deputy-keeper of the Palace remonstrating with Hawley upon the danger likely to result from the large fires his men were kindling the General replied that he did not care though the Palace were burnt to the ground upon which the indignant lady said "Weel, weel General an' that be the case I can rin awa frae fire as fash as you", alluding to the General's rout at Falkirk. Much is now done by the Barons of Exchequer to preserve the venerable pile from further decay. The present keeper is Sir Thomas Livingstone of Westquarter." New Stat. Acct. [New Statistical Account] of Co. [County] Linlithgow pages 176 to 177
OS1/34/38/23 TYLER'S TOWER Tylers' Tower Tylers' Tower Tyler's Tower Mr Waldie BooKseller, Linlithgow Mr Brockley Plumber, Linlithgow Mr Sanders Linlithgow etc. etc. [Situation] Near the N.W. [North West] Angle of "The Palace" & forming part of the Ruin This is the tower at the N.W. [North West] Corner of Linlithgow Palace And is Said to be So Called from its being a "Watchers'" or "Warders" tower - the office of "Tyler" (Watcher) is Still kept up by the fraternity of Freemasons -: the Name is Well Known and understood in Linlithgow. From this tower According to tradition, Queen Margaret tooK the last look of King James IV on his departure for Flodden. An apartment at the top of the Staircase is Called "Queen Margaret's Bower", but this name Seems to have originated Since the publication "Marmion" -
OS1/34/38/23 [Page] 23 Town of Linlithgow -- Sheet 1 Trace 4
OS1/34/38/24 [page] 24 Blank Page
OS1/34/38/25 Site of the CUNZIE HOUSE or MINT Site of The Mint Site of The Mint Site of The Mint Mr Waldie Bookseller Linlithgow Mr Brockley Linlithgow Mr Henderson Town ClerKs Office Linlithgow 001 [Situation] S.W. [South West] Corner of "The Cross" joining High Street Here stood the Mint or as it is Commonly Called the "Cunzie House". It has disappeared Many Years Ago And A Modern dwelling-house with Shops Now occupies the Spot. In Making Some Alteration here a few years ago, two Ancient Crucibles were found. The Silver found at Hilderston Was Coined here; A Number of the Coins Still Exist in Various Collections - This Spot is well Known in Linlithgow as the Site of "The Mint" And it gives the Name of CunzieneuK to the N.W [North West] Corner of the Square.
OS1/34/38/25 [Page] 25 Town of Linlithgow -- Sheet 1 Trace No. 4 From the traditions in Edinburgh and in Linlithgow it appears that the Scotch name for the Mint was, The Cunzie Houses See also Jamiesons's Scottish Dictionary. Therefore it is better retain the Scotch name in this case
OS1/34/38/26 [Page] 26 "On the site of the Cross stands the Cross-Well an object of great architectural elegance and local celebrity. The present Structure was erected in 1805 and is believed to be an exact of the Original except that the Carvings are more finished the proportions of the figures More Symmetrical and the general grouping more harmonious. It is of a fantastic and Whimsical appearance hexagonal in form profusely adorned with grotesque Sculpturing Constantly emitting 13 jets of water from the mouths of curious figures of animals and Surmounted by a lion rampant Supporting the royal arms of Scotland. In its renovated form it was planned and its richest Sculpturing executed by Robert Gray an Edinburgh artist who had only one hand and wielded his Mallet by a fixture upon the stump of his handless arm". Fullarton's Gazetteer of Scotland. "At the rejoicings in 1662 in celebration of the restoration of Charles II Linlithgow Obtained an unenviable notoriety in Scottish history by the burning of the Solemn League an Covenant. This act was not, however authorized by the inhabitants but appears to have been the deed of the chief actors in it; Mr Ramsay the Minister and Mr R Milne then Dean of Guild both of whom had Signed the document which with every Circumstance of ignomony they then consigned to the flames. In the records of the Council there is no minute hearing upon the incident." New Stat. Acct. [New Statistical Account] of Linlithgowshire page 173.
OS1/34/38/27 CROSS WELL (on the Site of Market Cross Solemn League and Covenant Publicly Burned Here Cross Well Cross Well Cross Well Mr Waldie Bookseller Linlithgow Mr Brockley Plumber Linlithgow Mr Henderson Town Clerk's Office Linlithgow etc, etc 001 [Situation] On the S. [South] of The "Town House" in the Centre of "The Cross" A Spring-well Situated about the Centre of the Square Known as "The Cross" And fronting the Town Hall - This well is Covered by a handsome fountain Shaped like an Imperial Crown; it was erected about forty years ago And its jets are kept Constantly Running - The Well was formerly Situated a little South of its present position but was removed when the Market Cross was taken Away, And it now Covers the Site of that object - The Supply of water is derived from a fountain-head Situated Near Rivalds Green - The Solemn League And Covenant was publically burned on this spot on the Anniversary of the Restoration 1662
OS1/34/38/27 [Page] 27 Town of Linlithgow -- Sheet 1 Trace 4
OS1/34/38/28 [page] 28 Blank Page
OS1/34/38/29 ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH St Michael's Church St Michael's Church St Michael's Church Revd. [Reverend] Dr Bell Incumbent Mr R. Glen Town Clerk Mr Henderson W.S. [Writer to the Signet] [Situation] On N [North] side of the Town near the N. [North] end of Kirkgate & Close on SE [South East] side of "The Palace" This Ancient Structure stands on. an eminence close to the Palace and a little W [West] of the and little N. [North] of the fortified Gateway. It is Considered One of the Most beautiful and entire specimens of Gothic Architecture in Scotland, It is of great Antiquity And the precise date of its erection is not Known with any Kind of certainty - its erection has been Ascribed to David I - It is about 184 feet long and 70 wide exclusive of the N [North] & S. [South] transepts The body Consists of Nave, Side Aisles, transepts and Chancel, An entrance porch and a wing that
OS1/34/38/29 ST. CATHERINE'S AISLE St. Katherine's Aisle St. Katherine's Aisle St. Katherine's Aisle Katherine's Aisle St. Catherine's Aisle St. Catherine's Aisle Revd. [Reverend] Dr Bell Mr R. Glen Town Clerk Mr Henderson Writer to the Signet Scot's Marmion Old Stat. [Statistical] Acct [Account] vol. [volume] 14 p. [page] 571 Fullarton's Gazetteer
OS1/34/38/29 [Page] 29 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4 St Michael's Church - 12th Century supposed St Katherine's Aisle - James IV warned here by an apparition prior to the Battle of Flodden
OS1/34/38/29 Continued on page 30
OS1/34/38/30 CHURCH Continued 001 was formerly used as a place of interment by the Livingstone family (it is expected to have it taken down, as it disfigures the symmetry of the Church). The Nave is divided from the Aisles by lofty pointed Arches resting Clustered Columns and the roof is supported by a series of Arches at the Centres where they Meet are bosses bearing Coats of Arms, Shields and Ornaments. the height from the floor is bout 90 feet - In the South transept is a very fine window it is the largest in the building and the lower part is divided into Six divisions by moulded shafts and the upper part is Composed of three Circles intermixed with raidiated Arch Stones - handsomely Carved - the rest of the windows are very beautiful in design and execution - This Wing is called "St. Kathrines Aisle" and tradition states that here whilst James IV was at his devotions an Apparation Appeared to him Against his expedition to Flodden, a warning which had no effect on the Monarch as the termination of that fatal field testifies. The North trainsept Contains What is said to have been the plague Coffin; a rudely Constructed Article without lid or bottom and bound at the corners with iron clasps, And having iron handles On the Sides; Here also is a box with a Sculptured Stones fixed in it, that was found in the Nave whilst excavating a grave, on it Are Sculptured a number of figure in bold relief and clumsily executed - the stone is divided into two Compartments, in one of which the Saviour is praying with three of his disciples, and in the Other he is being Kissed by Judas and Seized by the guard whilst curing the ear of Maleh.
OS1/34/38/30 [page] 30 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4
OS1/34/38/31 CHURCH Continued 001 The chancel is in the form of a half hexagon, is arched and lofty and having a tall window on each of its Sides, here there is a handsome pulpit of octagon shape and assended to by flights of Circular wooden Stairs The tower is at the Western end in which there is a door, arched and finely Carved, the door is low rising only as high as the spring of the Arch and divided in two by a fluted pillar over which is a beautifully carved nitche, surmounted by a Minature Castle, it is now empty The tower ends with a parapet having pinnacles on the Corners, it was formerly surmounted by a structure like an imperial Crown, with Sculptured Arched ribs attached to the Angles and on top was a small spire of pinnacle with a Cross on top. this however was taken down many years ago The church is divided in two by a partition wall and the Eastern end fitted up as a place of Worship, with galleries on three sides, in the S. [South] gallery is a Semicircular projection resting on two slender pillars, and is called the Royal Pew, the Royal Arms in Relief and gilded is in front The galleries are approach by Circular Stone Steps and there are sittings for 1100 There are three towers containing Circular Stairs, At the N.E. [North East] S.W. [South West] and N.W. [North West] Angles The Outside of the building was formerly adorned with Statues, the elegant nitches that Contained them now alone remain, with the exception of that of St Michael the Patron Saint, that stands high up on the S.W. [South West] Angle of the Porch The incumbent is The Dr. [Doctor] Bell
OS1/34/38/31 [Page] 31 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1, Trace 4
OS1/34/38/32 [page] 32 Church contd [continued] "The church which being situated in the town is near the mass of the population is a very fine building of great antiquity and one of the most perfect existing Specimens of the early ecclesiastical architecture of Scotland. It is supposed to have have been founded by David I., that, "Sair saunt for the crown". By recent, its length is 187 feet and its breadth including the aisles 105 feet. From the centre of the west from there rises a square tower which was formerly by an imperial crown. This however was removed a number of years ago from an apprehension that it was too weighty for the tower. At the time of its removal it was proposed to replace by a similar crown made of iron This however has never been effected. Some of the windows are very beautiful and previous to the Reformation the exterior was decorated with statues of which only one now remains that of St. Michael the old patron Saint of the burgh. The church with its pertinents was assigned by David I. to the prior and canons of St. Andrews. It was afterwards served by perpetual vicars several of whom attained high in the church. Formerly the west end was used as the place of worship. In 1812 the east end was up as a church at a cost of nearly £4000 and now forms very elegant church seated for 1100 persons. The charge was once collegiate but has been long single. In some accounts mention is made of an abro- gated parish that of Binny having been at the Reformation united to the parish of Linlithgow. Some however doubt whether Binny was ever a distinct parish and conceive that the chapel there was subsidiary to the church at Linlithgow". New Statistical Account of Linlithgow page 184
OS1/34/38/33 [page] 33 "Close by the Palace Stands the church called St. Michael's church whose Statue yet stands upon the Steeple which is very high and it and the church is of excellent Structure the Earl who was Colonel of the King's foot-guards added to the church a neat chapel for a burial place where he and the earls descended of him are buried". - Silbald's History of County Linlithgow page 15
OS1/34/38/34 [page] 34 Blank Page
OS1/34/38/35 BURIAL VAULT (rarls of Linlothgow) Burial Vault (Earls of Linlithgow) Burial Vault (Earls of Linlithgow) Burial Vault (Earls of Linlithgow) Mr Waldie Bookseller Linlithgow Mr Brockley Plumber Linlithgow Mr Henderson Town Clerks Office Linlithgow Etc Etc 001 [Situation] S.E [South East] of St Michael's Church A vault beneath the floor of one of the Aisles of the Parish Church was the place of internment for the Livingston family, Earls of Linlithgow - An act of attainder was passed upon this Earldom in 1715, but the representatives of the family Continued to bury here untill the death of the late Sir Thomas Livingstone who was interred Elsewhere - This vault is now Considered [finally] Closed
OS1/34/38/35 [Page] 35 Town of Linlithgow -- Sheet No. 1 Trace 4 "The Church is somewhat disfigured by the burying place of Livingstone family (Earls of Linlithgow attainted in 1716), it not being remarkably for purity of style".- Handbook of Linlithgow 1845
OS1/34/38/36 [page] 36 Blank Page
OS1/34/38/37 TOWN HOUSE Town House Town House Town House Town House J Hardie Esq. Provost Mr R. Glen Town Clerk Mr Henderson W.S. [Writer to the Signet] Mr A. Colquhoun Superintednant of County Polices 001 [Situation] On th N. [North] side of "The Cross" and S. [South] end of Kirkgate A very fine dressed Stone building, standing on the N. [North] side the "Cross" - It was originally erected in 1668 and is very strongly built the walls being tween 3 & 4 feet thick. it is three storeys high ending in a parapet wall with a projecting moulding - The ground floor Contains the lobby, at the principal entrance Under the piazza - Witness room and Record Room - The first floor, to which there is a back entrance on the N. [North] through the tower, Contains the Council Chamber and Court House which is fitted up in the usual Manner - Here the Sheriff's Criminal, Small debts, & Ordinary Courts are held, together with the Justice of Peace Court held on
OS1/34/38/37 [Page] 37 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4 "The town house was built in 1668 and contains the Jail Sheriff-Court house and town-hall. The County buildings in the rear of the town-house are plain in their exterior. The hall is a fine apartment adorned with fine portraits of John Earl of Hopetoun by Raeburn and of Sir Alexander Hope by Watson Gordon." - New Stat. [Statistical] Acct. [Account] of Co. [County] |Linlithgow
OS1/34/38/38 TOWN HOUSE Continued 001 first and third tuesday of every month_ these rooms are quite plain and devoid of all Ornament - A door Opens from the Court House to the lobby of the County Hall - The upper Storey of the Town House Contains the Town Hall, a fine Apartment and extending the whole length of the building and lighted by eleven windows, Seven in front and two at each end. the ceiling is without ornament, with plain Cornice Mouldings. at each end N. & S, [North and South] is a Very Old Stone Mantelpiece, on the N. [North] one is Carved in strong relief the. Thistle, Rose and fleur de lis, and the other bears festoons of flowers having between each festoon the Scotch thistle. each has over it, fixed in the wall a heavy Moulded Square frame of Stone - there is a square tower on the N. [North] Side, in which is a Circular Stair - it is 66 feet high on top of which is a parapet stone railing. The windows of the Town House have all angular pediments over them having in the tympanums, carved in relief _ Angels, Scotch Thistle, Crowns, fleur de lis and Irish harp -over the Central window of the Town Hall, is a Star with the Motto - and the window underneath is the "Dog and Tree" with the motto My fruit is Fidelity to God and King" - In front of the building is a Piazza, supported by semi- circular iron ribs and small pillars. the top is flat and forming a balcony Surrounded by iron railing -on the N.W. [North West] is adjoining the tower is an addition of modern erection Containing the lockup and Town officers Quarters - In front, between the upper row of windows and the Moulding, is the following in Relief - "Destroyed by fire in 1847 -Restored 1848, Adam Dawson, Bonnytown, Provost."
OS1/34/38/38 [page] 38 -- Town of Linlithgow, 5 feet. -- Sheet 1. Trace 4.
OS1/34/38/39 COUNTY HALL County Hall County Hall County Hall Mr R. Gen Mr Henderson J. Hardy Esqre. Situation [On the N. [North] side, & joined to the "Town House" A very neat stone building on the N. [North] and at Right Angles to the Town House to which it is joined - It was erected in 1821 as indicated by the Year being cut over a window in the East Side - It is two storeys high and slated, having projecting mouldings at the top. The ground floor Contains the sheriffs private Room, Keepers Apartments and lobby, in which stand four Circular wooden pillars for supporting the floor above - The Original entrance was on the N. [North] Close to the Town House, but has been Converted into a window, it wide & Arched, the present entrance, exclusive of that through the Keepers rooms, is by a door leading from the Court House & opening on a tripple flight of
OS1/34/38/39 [Page] 39 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4
OS1/34/38/40 COUNTY HALL CONTINUED 001 Stone steps, the centre one leading down to the lobby and one on each side ascending to the County Hall and terminating at a narrow lobby also having two Circular wooden pillars on the right is the right is the committe room, a plain apartment with bookcases etc. Farther is the Hall, avery fine, large room, occupying nearly three fourths of the whole length of the building; it is wholly lighted from the West by four very large windows, rising nearly to the ceiling, from which is suspended three handsome chandeliers from circular ornaments in Stucco - the Mantlepieces are plain but very neat and Over each is a portrait, life size, in gorgeously gilt frames; One is the Right Honble [Honourable] John, Earl of Hopetoun, and the other, General the honble [honourable] Sir Alexander Hope G.C.B. [Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath]
OS1/34/38/40 [page] 40 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet. Sheet 1. Trace 4
OS1/34/38/41 THE CROSS Cross Cross Cross Index Board Mr R. Glen Mr Henderson [Situation] On the N. [North] side of High Street and S. [South] of the "Town House" A large open space near the N. [North] end of the town and South of Kirkgate, it is Open on the South to High Street, on the E. [East] & W. [West] are houses of two and three Storeys high, some of them being very Old but Kept in good Repair On the N. [North] is the Town House and a large two Storey dwelling that was formerly the Governors residence, the Opening between, is the Commencement of Kirkgate and the N.E. [North East] opens into the Old Flesh Market. - Here the Market is held, if such Can be called so, where only the farmers assemble every friday with small samples of grain for inspection. there are no stalls, nor are there foods of any kind exposed for sale - In this square stands
OS1/34/38/41 [Page] 41 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4 Note As is usual hitherto to write on plans the definite article "The" in addition to the word "Cross" in this case to be written.
OS1/34/38/42 THE CROSS Continued 001 a splendid fountain, a facsimile of the original that was erected in 1620 which being much out of repair was replaced in 1807. It is hexagonal in form, and its elevations are in four divisions, diminishing as they ascend, the lower part rests on a low platform, raised two steps high and having twelve irregular Sides, Six sides being longer than the others. The Angles are decorated with clustered pillars rising from which are pagoda like pinnacles from a Square base and Carved with foliage, heads And other devices. On thee top of each division is a basin into which the water falls from the mouth of grotesque heads - each division is Connected at the Angles by moulded Arched Ribs of Stone, and the second division is Crowned at the different Angles by Six uncouth looking figures holding different emblems etc. One has a Scroll over his shoulder, containing "God save the King" One on the S. [South] side is holding a shield On which is raised, the dog and tree; another a drum etc. There are thirteen jets, exclusive of the Supply One Six in the Second division, Six in the third, And One in the Centre of the fourth which falls from a Small Cupola, resting on slender clustered Colums and the whole is Surmounted by a Unicorn rampant, holding a Scroll on which is a lion rampant on a Medallion The whole structure is elaborately Carved from base to summit with, foliage, Animals, birds, Angels, uncouth heads Thistles, fleur de lis, roses the human figure etc. etc. It is surrounded by a strong high iron Railing having twelve Sides fixed in flags, level with the Surface, and have also twelve sides but irregular in length in the railing on the South side is an upright flag stone, in which is
OS1/34/38/42 [page] 42 Town of Linlithgow, 5 feet. Sheet 1, Trace 4
OS1/34/38/43 THE CROSS Continued 001 the supply pipe from which a Constant stream issues, falls into a trough and from thence running down the Channel on the N. [North] side of High street - on the slab is Cut in Relief, the Dog and Tree with the Motto "My fruit is fidelity to God and the King." On the N. [North] Side of the fountain, is the following inscription "This well in imitation of the ancient Cross Well of Linlithgow, was founded On the 4th June 1807, And executed by Robert Gray, Stone Mason, Edinburgh." S. [South] West of this fountain, and East of Cunzie Neuk, was erected, across the channel the last Scaffold in 1819, in which Year the last execution took place in Linlithgow.
OS1/34/38/43 PLACE OF PUBLIC EXECUTION Place of Public Execution Mr. R Glen Mr Henderson 001 See Descriptive RemarKs above
OS1/34/38/43 [Page] 43 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1. Trace 4
OS1/34/38/44 GRAMMAR SCHOOL Grammar School Grammar School Grammar School Grammar School Mr R Glen Mr Henderson J Hardy Esq. Mr W. Shiell Teacher 001 A plain stone building one storey high & slated, and erected by the burgh about thirty Years ago. it is Commodious, well lighted & kept in excellent repair - it stands at the extremity of the Yard E [East] of the County Hall - It is supported by the Magistrates & Town Council, there being no Mortification - The branches taught Are those usual in Such Schools - The teachers Name is Mr W. Shiell
OS1/34/38/44 [Page] 44 Town of Linlithgow --5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4
OS1/34/38/45 FLESH MARKET CLOSE Flesh Market Close Flesh Market Close J. Hardy Esq. Mr R. Glen 001 [Situation] N.E. [North East] of "The Cross" & South of the "Old Flesh Market" A narrow lane leading from the N.E. [North East] corner of the cross into the Old Flesh Market, & continues E. [East] to the entrance of the gardens a little farther E. [East] it is enclosed by a wall & house on the S. [South] & on the N. [North] by the the above Market.
OS1/34/38/45 THE VENNEL [Linlithgow] The Vennel The Vennel J. Hardy Esq. Mr R. Glen Town Clerk 001 A narrow Lane leading Northwards from the High Street to the margin of th laKe. The gas worKs are Situated in this lane
OS1/34/38/45 HIGH STREET 001 Sheet 3 Town of Linlithgow
OS1/34/38/45 [Page] 45 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4
OS1/34/38/46 KIRKGATE Kirkgate Kirkgate Kirkgate Mr R. Glen J. Hardy Esq. Index Board 001 [Situation] N. [North] of "The Cross" & W. [West] of the "County Hall" A narrow straight Gate extending N. [North] from the Cross to the Gateway W. [West] of St Michaels Church, at its S. [South] end it has the Town House & County Hall on the E [East] and a short row of two storey houses on the W. [West] the Remainder is bounded by the Grave Yard on One Side & a field On the Other
OS1/34/38/46 OLD FLESH MARKET Old Flesh Market Old Flesh Market Mr R. Glen J. Hardy Esqre. 001 [Situation] On E. [East] of the "Town House" Nothing Remains of this Market now but two large spaces enclosed by high walls, it was taken down two Years ago as the fleshers found it inconvenient, they still however pay dues for it to the town - on E. [East] side of Town House
OS1/34/38/46 [Page] 46 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4
OS1/34/38/47 VENNEL GREEN Vennel Green Vennel Green Mr R. Glen J. Hardy Esqre. [Situation] On NE. [North East] side of the Gas WorKs & on the edge of Linlithgow Loch A portion of green sward on the edge of the loch at the GasworKs, and W. [West] end of the Vennel and Watergate, it belongs to the Guildry And the people Are allowed the privilege of drying It is a bleaching green, there are several rows of wooden posts erected in it
OS1/34/38/47 WATERGATE Watergate Watergate Mr R. Glen Town Clerk J. Hardy Esqre. 001 [Situation] On N [North] side of the High Street & extending from "The Cross" to the Gas Works A narrow lane extending from W. [West] side of the Cross & Running to the Gas Works, there are a few dwellings two Storey high at its E [East] end with a wall on each side the remainder
OS1/34/38/47 [Page] 47 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4
OS1/34/38/48 GAS WORKS [Linlithgow] Gas Works Gas Works Mr R. Glen J. Hardy Esqre. 001 [Situation] On the edge of Linlithgow Loch, at the W. [West] end of Watergate A low stone building with two sheds established in 1830 by a joint stock StocK Compy [Company] and let in ten pound shares; It Aontains the usual Apparus, And has two gasometers, One at the WorKs Containing 5000 Cubic feet and a larger one at a little distance Containing 1500 feet It Stands on the edge of the loch at the W. [West] end of Watergate on a portion of the Vennel Green Which Which was purched by the Company from the Guldry & for which they pay a feu of 10d [£0.0.10] a year - Mr Dawson, Banker is Chairman
OS1/34/38/48 [Page] 48 Town of Linlithgow - 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4
OS1/34/38/49 CUNZIE NEUK Cunzie Neuk Cunzie Neuk Cunzie Neuk Mr R. Glen J. Hardy Esq. Mr Henderson [Situation] S.W. [South West] corner of "The Cross" & S.E. [South East] angle of the old "Cunzie House" or "Mint" The name applies to the S.W. [South West] Corner of the "Cross" joining High Street, where it is said the Old Mint stood where James 4 minted Some Coin, nothing further is Known Concerning it. - It is a well known name
OS1/34/38/49 [Page] 49 Town of Linlithgow -- 5 feet Sheet 1 Trace 4 Signed James Carpenter C. Asst [Civilian Assistant] 12th May 1856 Alexander de Courcy Scott Lt [Lieutenant] R.E. [Royal Engineers] & Capn [Captain] Kerr R.E. [Royal Engineers] 12 May 1856