Essential website maintenance

On Tuesday 11 June, a small number of our websites started experiencing some infrastructure-related issues. We are working to restore the functionality affected by these issues and anticipate this will be resolved by next week.


No image found
List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Callendar Brick and Tile Works Callendar Brick and Tile Works Thomas Kier Esq.
Thomas Stark Esq.
Mr. Alexander Black
024.15 A Brick and Tile Works. with Kiln and Drying Shed attached. it had for some years back fallen into disuse but has recently been re-opened for work. Property of Mr. Potter.
Campfield Campfield Thomas Kier Esq.
Thomas Stark Esq.
Mr. Alexander Black.
030.03 This field is the site of the position taken up by the Scotch Army under Sir William Wallace on the 22nd July 1298, and where the English Army under Edward Ist attacked them and put them to flight. there are no vestiges of an Encampment visible at present but at intervals portions of spear and battle axes have been dicovered in the field and the ground round about.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 10

Town of Falkirk -- 1/500

(Site of the Battle of Falkirk)
A.D. 1298
"Instantly on Edwards arrival in England he assembled a numerous Army
amounting according to the common accounts, to above eighty thousand foot
besides a fine body of Cavalry, most of them veteran troops newly brought over from France. He marched
northward at their head. The Scots were, meanwile, making vigorous preparations for defence. An army
of thirty thousand, collected by Wallace and other chiefs, rendezvoused near Falkirk,waiting for the enemy.
After being encamped for about a month at Kirkliston, two miles south of Queensferry: the scarcity of
provisions had become so great in Edward's army that he had thoughts of returning to Edinburgh, but
receiving intelligence that the Scottish army had taken post within six leagues of his Camp he resolved
to attempt a decisive strike. Setting out, accordingly, from Kirkliston at three in the afternoon, they arrived
at Linlithgow that evening. The army including the King, lay all night on the bare ground. He mounted
at daybreak, and led the army through the town. They had no sooner passed the town of Linlithgow than
they descried, on the hills of Muiravenside several bodies of armed men whom they took for the Scottish Army. They
marched up in battle array to attack them. Upon their arrival, it was found that the Scots had retired, having
been only the outposts, and scouting parties, who upon the approach of the enemy had fallen back
to the main body at Falkirk. Reaching the summit of the hills, the whole English army halted, till the Bishop of
Durham had said Mass. It was the 22nd of July, and St. Magdalen's day. They now observed the Scottish army
two miles off, forming in the order of Battle upon a gentle eminence near Falkirk. When Mass was ended, the King
proposed that the army should take some refreshment. The troops however would listen to no delay,
but insisted on being led to action. The English advanced to the charge in three great bodies. The first
was led by the Earl Marshal, and the Earls of Hereford & Lincoln; the second by the Bishop of Durham, with whom
Sir Ralph Basset de Drayton was joined command; and the third which was probably intended as a corps de
reserve, was commanded by Edward in person. The Scottish army also stood in three divisions, commanded
by as many leaders. The first line of the English, led on by the Earl Marshal, and the Earls of Hereford
and Lincoln, advanced with great ardour, but not having reconnoitred the ground, were some-
what retarded by the morass in front of the Scotts. Turning a little to the left, however, they found firm
ground, along which they charged. The Bishop of Durham, who with Sir Ralph Basset commanded the
second line, perceiving the morass, turned to the right and set a compass, but more nearly inspecting
the warlike posture of the Scotts, he proposed to stop until the third division commanded by the
King had advanced. Delay however did not suit Basset's ardour who insisted that the troops
should instantly charge; They advanced accordingly, and charged the left wing of the Scots
almost at the moment Bigod had charged the right.
The Scots made so brave a resistance, that the English Cavalry who were now chiefly employed
could not for some time, make any impression upon their ranks. The division commanded
by Stewart was surrounded and, after a gallant defence, mostly cut to pieces, together
with their leader who was mortally wounded. Wallace for some time, stood his ground
against the whole power of the enemy with amazing intrepidity till Robert Bruce, who with
a body of Cavalry, had taken a circuit round a hill was ready to fall upon his rear.
This obliged him to begin a retreat, which he accomplished with great valour and
military skill to the Carron. He crossed the river in view of the victorious army
at a ford near Arthurs Oven.
Nimmo's History of Stirlingshire.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, jwhart22

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.