List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
LINTON TOWER (Site of) Linton Tower (Site of) Revd [Reverend] T. Leishman
Mr George Smith
Linton and its Legends by Dr [Doctor] Wilson
016.06 This has been one [of] the ancient border Keeps or fortalices, originally built by John Somervill a baron of Norman descent, and a recent Settler from England, who was buried in the adjoining Church, it was repaired by Thomas Lord Somerville in 1426, it was latterly in the possession of the Kers, descendents of Ker of Cessford, and about the beginning of the seventeenth century came into the possession of the Pringles of Clifton, by purchase, not a stone now is visible to mark the site, the last relic was an iron door, which was dug out, about thirty years ago, from the Mound concealing the shattered foundation, which has been removed by the then proprietor to The Haining, near Selkirk
LINTON MILL (Corn) Linton Mill (Corn) Revd [Reverend] Mr Leishman
Mr Smith Tenant
Mr George Smith
016.06 A small water power corn Mill on the road side at a short distance southeast from Linton Church, it is the property of R.K. Elliott Esqr of Clifton

Continued entries/extra info

Parish of Linton
[Page] 23
Sheet 16 No 6 Trace 6
Described by William Boyd
Corporal. RE [Royal Engineers]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Chr1smac -Moderator, elxosn

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.