List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
FRIARS The Friars
William Smith Esq. writer Kelso
Jeffrey's History Roxburghshire
Map of Kelso
County Map.
009.08 A little beyond Teviot Bridge is a place called The "Friars". The Grey Friars had a convent here previous to 1235. Their Church was dedicated to St. Peter. A burying ground for the brethren of the order was dedicated in May, 1235, by William, Bishop of Glasgow - within the last two years, the Site of the Convent was occupied by a farm house & outbuildings which were called Friars, several years ago the occupant of the Farm Came upon the burying ground of the order. A few of the Coffins were in a good state of preservation, and ornamented with rude plates of Iron. At the entrance of their Chapel - (St. Peter, a Skeleton was found, and near to it a large Key. The workmen in the Course of their operations, laid open Several Vaults & Subterranean passages built with freestone, in one of which they found a Malt-steep, & beside it a bottle & glass with the name of John Hayman upon it, both clumsily made.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 78
Town of Kelso Sheet 7

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, gengirl44

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.