List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
ST JAMES'S GREEN St. James's Green Plans of Kelso 1823 [&] 1852
History of Kelso
Mr Waldie - Roxburgh St.
009.04 A piece of ground on which an annual fair is held called "St. James's Fair". It is the site of the old town of Roxburgh, and is several feet lower than the large flat piece of ground adjoining it - called Vigorous Haugh, and on which the Protector Somerset encamped in 1547. Nothing of old Roxburgh now remains every vestige of antiquity has been demolished. Some curious Monumental remains have been dug up from the Burial ground, of St. James Church. In ancient times when Kelso was a place of little importance and consisted of a few cottages at the town head a stone bridge crossed the Tweed at old Roxburgh, a Ford also existed, and, until more recently, a Ferry. The Coble Hole or the Boat Hole was the landing place on the Kelso side.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 31
Town of Kelso Sheet No.4
[Signed] W. Beatty

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, Margaret Litchfield

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.