Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/25/56/45

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CHURCH (Remains of) [Methven] Church (Remains of) Mr. Young Methven.
Mr. Wright
A book entitled "The presbytery of Perth", by the Revd. [Reverend] John Wilson.
097 The following is taken from a book entitled "The Presbytery of Perth":-
The church of Methven in the diocese of St Andrews, was founded in 1433 by Walter Stewart, Earl of Athole, a younger son of Robert the Second. It was a collegiate church, and served by a Provost and several Prebendaries. The revenues at the reformation were valued at £117 Scots, and 40 chalders of meal. Auldbar now united to Aberlemno, was conferred on the collegiate church of Methven, and the care thereof served by a chaplain. In 1621 the minister of Methven is styled, Provost of Methven and chaplain of Auldbar. Part of the tomb of Mr. Smythe is the only remains of this church.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 45

Perthshire Ph. [Parish] of Methven.

[Note:]
To be written to the Western Tomb
which is the part of the Old Church which
still remains.
[Initialled] P.L.

The following is taken from the New Statistical Account.
"An aisle, which was connected with this church, appears, from a stone built in
the wall, to have been erected by some of the Royal family. On this stone is sculp-
tured the Royal Lyon of Scotland, with the crown above, and there are some defaced
illegible Saxon characters below. This aisle may have been built by Margaret the
Queen Dowager, when she resided at the Castle of Methven."
This aisle comprises the Western Tomb which is the burying place of
William Smythe Esq. of Methven Castle.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Logiealmond

  Location information for this page.